• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Thoughts on Deep 6's new DC

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by ttsugar, Dec 11, 2019.

1. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I will place this computer on my arm, in between my two Shearwaters set at the same GF values, to address any such concerns that the developer screwed up implementing the algorithm. I think there will be some disappointment while rational people will say "well duh, what else did you expect?"

2. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    From the Deep 6 Facebook page:
    What are the GFs for the three levels of conservatism?

3. aviator8

aviator8 Professional Photographer

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    It does not seem to have a plan mode to see this. I was going to just set the log start to 1 ft and dunk it to see but the lowest log start is 4.9 ft and my bathtub isn't that deep.

4. aviator8

aviator8 Professional Photographer

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I went through all the options and couldn’t find one. Also checked the crest cr-4 manual and didn’t see plan mode.

scubadada likes this.
  5. LandonL

LandonL ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    The GF values that roughly correspond to the SF 1-3 settings are 35/75, 40/85, and 45/95. There is a safety factor line offset applied to the M-line for each. So the numbers will be close to what you get from the shearwater, but not exact.

We have stated similar on the product page, scubaboard, and facebook (as @tursiops quoted above).

So to state this in very simple terms, if you are running another computer that also uses Buhlmann ZHL-16C with the same gradient factors, you may not get the exact same NDLs or runtimes, because there may not be an additional safety margin applied.

6. runsongas

runsongas Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    with the lukewarm record of new dive computer companies, i am firmly in the "lets see how they do after a year of real world testing camp"

scrane, scubadada and cerich like this.
  7. cerich

cerich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    that is reasonable. Also why we have been using them in the team for just over 6 months before release, and after they have been sold as Crest for a while before we released.

8. LandonL

Preliminary Manual has been added as a link at the bottom of the product description. It can also be downloaded from here https://www.deep6gear.com/Deep6-Excursion-User-Manual.pdf

A statement about the Gradient Factors and Safety Line offset HAS been added.

The official name of the unit is the Deep6 Excursion.

This is a beta version of the manual, further editing and formatting will be done for future revisions.

9. KenGordon

KenGordon Rebreather Pilot

How do you know what the GF values are? Do you have the source code?

It seems like a thing that ought to be in the manual if you claim it does GF then it is an obvious requirement for planning.

10. LandonL

Because we agreed upon the GF values and know what they are, including the safety line offsets.

It is in the Deep 6 manual, page 15. However since this is a single gas recreational dive computer, it seemed better to use a simpler method of defining the conservatism setting than using raw GF values because the vast majority of recreational divers have no idea what GF-low/GF-high value pairs mean.