• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Thoughts on Deep 6's new DC

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by ttsugar, Dec 11, 2019.

1. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Regular of the Pub

Looks like my Cressi Leo: once it's "in deco" you have to ascend to prescribed stop +/- a foot and hang there until it clears. E.g. if you have a deco stop at 3msw, it will never clear no matter how long you hang at 5msw.

2. divinh

divinh ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Interesting. On the other side, not in deco, it does seem to credit you as you get more shallow, more NDL time.

3. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Thanks @Andrew Dawson

So, I'm still not sure how this computer works. Sounds simpler to just have minutes of deco shown from the beginning, no confusion.

KenGordon and Andrew Dawson like this.
  4. scubadada

All my computers have always cleared deco at a depth below the stop depth, just takes more time. My stop is at 10 feet, I usually hang out at around 15 feet. These include Oceanic Pro Plus 2, Cochran EMC-14, Dive Rite Nitek Duo, Oceanic Geo 2, Oceanic VT3, Dive Rite Nitek Q, Shearwater Teric.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  5. Andrew Dawson

Andrew Dawson Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    If we could get the D6 dive log app up and running [hint hint] that might be a great way to decipher what the computer is doing :wink:

Tournesol2000 and scubadada like this.
  6. dmaziuk

Did any of them run "folded" RGBM?

I haven't had a chance to find out how long "long enough" is for mine, if it even exists: boat rules an' all. I can tell you that 5 minutes at 5-6 msw does not clear a 3 msw/3 minute mandatory stop on it.

@divinh once it clears the mandatory stop, it goes back to crediting you for time in the shallows etc. as usual.

divinh likes this.
  7. scubadada

Surely, you jest :)

Doesn't your Cressi show you your deco time and then count down at the stop, perhaps a little slower, if you are a bit deeper than the stop depth?

8. dmaziuk

Nope, that's the whole point. "C" in @Andrew Dawson's description sounds like D6 doesn't either(?).

And don't call me Shirley :wink:

PS more accurately, it shows deco time but the countdown is in minutes. All I can tell you is mine was still showing "3/3 deco" after about 5 min @ 5 msw when I tried that.

scubadada likes this.
  9. scubadada

Hi @daziuk

You would surely think that 5 min at 15 feet would reduce a 3 min obligation at 10 feet by at least a couple of minutes, if not satisfy it entirely. That is certainly the case with all of the computers I have used.

So, I don't understand exactly how your computer works, nor do I understand how the Deep 6 Excursion works. Do you have downloaded profiles from your computer that illustrates what happens during your 5 min at 15 feet. As @Andrew Dawson pointed out, the download app for the Excursion is not yet available.

10. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    So I infer it doesn't really tell you your deco obligation until you are 3 minutes into deco, or you get to your ceiling, whichever comes first? Since we don't know his profile it is hard to simulate/replicate his experience. I guess it is time for me to build a little pressure chamber and do some deco dives for my computer....

scubadada, rhwestfall and lexvil like this.