• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Thoughts on Deep 6's new DC

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by ttsugar, Dec 11, 2019.

1. hsinhai

hsinhai ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    From my experience on the Cressi (or most any RGBM), the second you hit the deco algorithm you can't clear it until you get real close to the ceiling.

For instance, if i'm at 30M the DC slips 1 second into deco, i kick up to 20M (not that i would) it still will not clear.. and will keep adding deco obligation. Time will continue to add no matter how fast you ascend. It will only begin to reduce at 6M or above. If you are below 10M even ascending it will continue to grow quite rapidly. Also experienced similar on zoop.

If you had 2 computers within 5mins of each other, by the time you reach the 9M the one that entered deco will be at 15min obligation, while the one that never hit deco will have over 99min of NDL..

A DC like teric or M1 will usually clear a minor deco obligation on the way up, so you can continue the dive within your limits.

2. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    And I suppose you realize the Excursion is Buhlmann with Gradient Factors, not RGBM (your Cressi and all Suuntos)?

3. hsinhai

hsinhai ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

100% understand.. I was merely agreeing about the illogical nature of RGBM deco algorithm and how it penalizes deco. Though that may also be a good thing for recreational divers.
    rgbm-deco.jpg

4. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I had an Oceanic VersaPro (DSAT RDP model) that was my computer when I took my first deco class. It REALLY penalized you if you went into deco, because you weren't supposed to go into deco.....

DBPacific likes this.
  5. johndiver999

johndiver999 Manta Ray

32 ounces of seawater equals a quart, as well. Not something I need to be reminded about while entering into decompression. LOL.. Seems equally as relevant.

6. Andrew Dawson

Andrew Dawson Barracuda

To be clear, I really enjoy this computer. It is very well made, gives great info...and I asked my questions as the support staff has been exceptional. I have very rarely been given this much support...yes, I was PM'ed about this to make sure I was taken care of.

The issues I had were my lack of understanding what the computer was doing...the display was not making sense to me. It could be a computer error...it could be a user error....so...we chat about it.

I did read the manual...was the first thing I did when I got home...it did not answer my questions...so...I decided to chat about it. My experience with the Excursion has been awesome and I am very happy with it. I use it in a recreational way for my sidemount recreational dives. I have no complaints.

My career is in HW development...for Microsoft, Facebook, 2Bot, etc...I have extensive experience in good, bad, and ugly HW devs...this is very well done...there is work to be done, IMHO, on the user guide...but, that also come with the territory as not all users are alike. That is, no document or manual will be understood by 100% of the audience.

Anyway, after using Uwatecs, Suuntos, Dive Rite computers...now D6...I am very happy with all the different aspects of this purchase, computer, and experience. Thank you D6!!

MichaelMc, scubadada, hsinhai and 3 others like this.
  7. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

Why is a smaller unit of time not helpful?

I wish that my Shearwaters would display seconds after deco dropped below 3 minutes.

chillyinCanada and Andrew Dawson like this.
  8. rsingler

rsingler Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

So I took my Excursion for a deco dive on the dining room table tonight.
    20200602_225438.jpg
    Man, is there a lot of misinformation in this thread, based on zero experience with this computer!

It's a RECREATIONAL computer with a Buhlman algorithm, that for $250 does pretty damned well.
    The display is subtly different, but it's not hard to understand. And it has a great feature! It shows my ascent/decent rate in feet per minute! I wish my Shearwater did that!

So let's go diving.
    To start, I'm diving Air, with GF 35/75 (CF1)
    20200602_220623.jpg

Here I am descending to ~107ft.
    I'm descending at 90 fpm.
    20200602_221119.jpg
    I stop at 107', starting with about 10 min on my NDL clock. At 5 min into the dive, I've got 7 min NDL left, having used 1-2 min in descent.
    20200602_224503.jpg

9. rsingler

As I hit 4 min NDL,
    20200603_082338_1.jpg
    the computer begins to alert me with a subtle beep and vibrate. At 2 min NDL, it switches to a subtle double beep. It's not loud, and if I were doing a deliberate deco dive it might be slightly annoying, but for the AVERAGE recreational diver, it is a nice safety feature.

When I go into deco, as noted by others in a contentious discussion below, the computer notes having exceeded NDL with a negative number:
    20200602_224616.jpg
    20200602_224630.jpg
    This negative number continues to count, until at 3 minutes, it switches from min:sec to min.
    20200602_224714.jpg
    This does not mean "3 min of deco".
    It means you have gone into deco by three minutes. And it continues...
    20200602_224744.jpg
    So let's think about that.
    This is NOT a Perdix AI.
    You have not intentionally gone into deco.
    Remember your PADI training?
    There are specific procedures to be followed diving with tables if you unintentionally exceed your NDL by 3 or 5 minutes. This display is analogous to that.

It's not going to map out your new deco schedule. It's telling you to ascend.
    Here I am, aggravating the problem. I'm ascending, but time is still passing, and my ceiling has dropped from 29 ft to 39 ft. (Pretty low ceiling for such a short dive, but that's the penalty of GF35/75. I'd love to see GF50/75 instead, but it'll take another decade for the deep stops nonsense to die. )
    20200602_223201.jpg
    But I'm ascending, and the time continues to count up, as I've not hit the stop. However, what HAS changed is that the ceiling is rising as I offgas.
    In other words, despite this rising count of time past NDL, the computer IS taking account of offgassing.
    20200602_223502.jpg
    I am just about to hit my stop. And at 32 feet and change, I'm within the zone for this computer and it says Stop.
    20200602_223514_1.jpg
    At this point, I discover my initial deco obligation.
    I'm a Rec Diver, and don't know anything about the whole deco plan.
    20200602_223545.jpg
    So I hover, taking nice advantage of the decimal depth, to hold my stop accurately (sortof- I'm controlling this dive with a little Schrader valve and a bicycle pump).

10. rsingler

When that deco obligation is satisfied,
    20200602_223856.jpg
    my ceiling changes, and a new deco obligation appears.
    20200602_223901.jpg
    That time stays fixed until I ascend to within the deco zone for that next stop. Here we see it just starting to count down...
    20200602_223931.jpg

But let's say I blow past my stop.
    The computer stops counting down until I return to my deco stop depth
    20200602_224011.jpg
    and indicates that I have ascended too far with OVER.
    Once I return to 16 feet, it continues to count down.

wnissen, ScubaWithTurk, -JD- and 8 others like this.