• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Thoughts on Deep 6's new DC

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by ttsugar, Dec 11, 2019.

1. rsingler

rsingler Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Once I complete this second deco stop
    20200602_225602.jpg
    The computer reverts to being a recreational computer and starts my usual safety stop
    20200602_225606.jpg
    As @cerich notes below, changing the heading from (deco) STOP to something like S.Stop will remove some confusion.
    At this point, if I omit my safety stop
    20200602_225807.jpg
    the computer warns me with OVER, but does not lock up.
    Shortly thereafter, I get a dive profile
    20200602_225855.jpg
    And can look at my log,
    20200602_230010.jpg

If i want, I can go right back to diving...
    20200602_230039.jpg
    presumably with my nitrogen load shortening my next NDL.
    I do not know yet whether the computer will lock up if you violate a deco stop.

All told, this is a good toy. It is a great value.
    I haven't seen any of the wonky times that have been commented on elsewhere. I think this is a great recreational computer, and a good backup for all dives, when you consider the cost.

2. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Thanks @rsingler, I'm looking forward the remaining installments for your chamber dive :)

Andrew Dawson likes this.
  3. johndiver999

johndiver999 Manta Ray

I would NOT want depth to be displayed in decimals of feet. I had a metric computer that displayed depth in decimals of meters and I did not like that, but meters are so large that a decimal value has some utility. Displaying decimal feet would be a source of confusion and a perfect example of a non-optimal way to display critical data - in my opinion, anyway. Is that common to other computers?

4. cerich

cerich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    If anybody wants to watch on video the unit going into deco, what it shows once it does, what it shows during deco and safety stop.. here is a link.

Ignore ascent rate

5. cerich

No worries, you will find other units that suit YOUR preferences and opinion better. All good.

Many folks won't find it as confusing as you would based on your comments, in fact many find it very intuitive.

6. johndiver999

johndiver999 Manta Ray

In my opinion, I think an ambiguity about displaying minutes or seconds is an unnecessary source of potential confusion. In a stressful situation, with low light, low visibility, snot on the mask and nitrogen impairing the brain, I feel that simplicity in depiction of information is necessary and should be the primary consideration.

Also, just for clarification does the DECO time START in seconds, increase up to 180 seconds, then toggle to minutes (when deco exceeds 3 minutes) and then toggle back to seconds as the deco time decreases? If so, when you first glance at the deco status of the display and you see 12... could that mean 12 seconds or 12 minutes?

7. Colliam7

Colliam7 Tech Instructor Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Interesting perspective. And, I realize it is your opinion, which is valid for you. But, I don't see a problem with a depth display in decimal feet. Why would it cause confusion? If the depth sensor is able to provide that detail, and adding the decimal and one digit don't compromise other information, what's the issue? Sure, for a recreational dive computer, I don't know that it is essential to have this level of precision. But, I am having trouble understanding why it would be considered a negative. I am not disagreeing (or agreeing) with the opinion, just trying to better understand why this would be any sort of 'issue'.

8. cerich

That is your opinion and you are welcome to it.

Others disagree.

9. lexvil

lexvil ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

It all looks as I expected, one question and I may just be having a brain fart but what it the value lz? Under the “ceiling” ? I didn’t catch what the setting was, 1,2 or 3.

10. RainPilot

RainPilot OC/CCR Instructor Trainer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Well that is unarguable and I personally would be happy to use that display comfortably for the occasional light deco or for a rec diver to get out of trouble with. I assume the 2nd 3-minute segment at 15’ was the safety stop?

RayfromTX and Andrew Dawson like this.