Thoughts on diving in the middle of dental root canal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There has been lots of discussion on diving after root canals are done. I contacted DAN and they provided me the information on diving AFTER the root canal is done. We even spoke about diving between stages of the root canal, but admittedly there is a lack of evidence based information.

To answer the question some of you have: Why can't I just wait until it's completely done? Because I love to dive so if I don't have to miss out I'd prefer not. Will I die from not diving? No, but I will feel like I may. And yes, blah blah...safest thing to do is to wait until the end, etc etc. My question is how many of you have had experience diving between steps? Anyone had a dentist provide them a recommendation (no, never dive between steps or yes, it's okay). My dentist doesn't know. DAN is unsure.

Upper molar, so more difficult
Was told 2-3 steps

Has anyone dove with a temporary cap on?
Anyone dove between the steps?

Thanks for anyone who has experience!

The last time a had a root canal (just a couple of years ago, and one among many), my endodontist told me I should not dive until the procedure is complete. Being an older and wiser guy with excellent judgment, I chose to comply with his guidance. If DAN is not sure about the issue, and your endodontist doesn't know, I guess you have to weigh the risks verses the rewards.

Thanks for your fast reply. I'm older, but perhaps not wiser. :) I likely will follow the recommendations, but I was just wondering if anyone ever heard or did otherwise. Thanks!

I think the issue may be whether or not your root canal has been permanently sealed/filled. In all of my cases, there was some medicine put in the canals and there was no doubt some air under the temporary filling, and I have had more than one temporary crown pop off even without diving. Good luck. The good news is the worst part of the procedure is over.

I think the issue may be whether or not your root canal has been permanently sealed/filled. In all of my cases, there was some medicine put in the canals and there was no doubt some air under the temporary filling, and I have had more than one temporary crown pop off even without diving. Good luck. The good news is the worst part of the procedure is over.

If he's already paid. That is.

Word of wisdom here. Temporary cap equals likely gap in tooth. If you have ever experienced the extreme pain from a reverse block in a tooth or sinus you wouldn’t ask about diving. Best case scenario would if the temporary cap blew off. Worse case blown out sinus cavity possibly needing surgery.

I've had 3 root canals, the result of sports injuries when I was too young to understand that using a face to stop a hockey puck, football or foot wasn't ideal... I remember they were not fun at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the concern is that there may be some gas space in the cavity. If so, it stands to reason that it's going to hurt like a mofo on the way down, and likely by about 10' you're going to know everything you need to go.

I vote for giving it a try in the pool or someplace easy, and see how it goes!

I don't think anyone has ever died from a sore tooth.

”...Will I die from not diving? No, but I will feel like I may. And yes, blah blah...safest thing to do is to wait until the end, etc etc....”

So, I’m not sure what you’re looking for. Secondly information related from SB readers who asked of their Dental Surgeon the same question.

You want to subject your sinuses, which has, by design, closed ends (at the teeth) and theoretically open ports (ears, nose, near the eyes) you want to give it a pressure differential experience with both ends completely open.

What could be the downside?

Worst that can happen is that you become a cautionary tale.

With infections deep inside your skull. Not with a root canal leak, but that’s how I got Bells Palsy, tinnitus, and loss of smell. At least that’s the MDs guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom