Thoughts on diving in the middle of dental root canal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished my root canal yesterday and going to have the final filling completed next week. My dentist is an avid diver and said that once the filling is complete I should be fine. I hope so, as I am heading off to Bonaire in 3 weeks!!

No worries as long as the procedure goes okay.

The treated tooth is not hollow, the excavated root canal is filled and a temporary or permanent cap will be put in place. So no pressure / trapped air issues.

The "temporary" cap may be permanent or it may be replaced by a crown. Depends on the situation.

No real rush on this. Due to scheduling issues I am in month 3 with a temporary cap and my dentist has no concerns. I did a week of diving with the temporary cap. My Dentist is recommending that I get the cap replaced by a crown since it is covered by my insurance and he needs a new set of golf clubs.

No worries as long as the procedure goes okay.

The treated tooth is not hollow, the excavated root canal is filled and a temporary or permanent cap will be put in place. So no pressure / trapped air issues.

The "temporary" cap may be permanent or it may be replaced by a crown. Depends on the situation.

No real rush on this. Due to scheduling issues I am in month 3 with a temporary cap and my dentist has no concerns. I did a week of diving with the temporary cap. My Dentist is recommending that I get the cap replaced by a crown since it is covered by my insurance and he needs a new set of golf clubs.
In this context with "temporary cap" isn't meaned a filling that is later replaced by a crown but a cap from cavit or similiar material,
that is used as sealing inbetween root canal treatment sessions, when the tooth isn't filled yet.

Google “endocarditis”. Become enlightened.
I work in the medical field. Probably if I didn't I'd just not ask so many questions, but because I do I want to know more. Us medical people love not to listen to the advice of doctors. LOL

Mmerriman: Why in particular? Bad experience?

In the middle of a root canal? Even if you find a dentist that dives also, I would think that drill would interfere with your regulator.
:giggle::yeahbaby:

In this context with "temporary cap" isn't meaned a filling that is later replaced by a crown but a cap from cavit or similiar material,
that is used as sealing inbetween root canal treatment sessions, when the tooth isn't filled yet.
Clarify with your Dentist on what was done. Maybe you are getting a different procedure?

My current root canal started with 2 treatments a week apart. Both times the excavated canal was fully filled and a proper "cap" installed. There was never an "unfilled, unsealed, half baked" tooth when I left the chair.

The tooth was okay to chew on as soon as I left the chair. The Dentist did advise waiting a few hours to eat to allow the freezing in my cheek to reduce so there was less chance of biting myself.

Definitely getting a root canal. Haven't had it done yet. It's 2-3 parts because apparently upper back molars are more difficult and may require two visits at the endo before a cap is put on.

Clarify with your Dentist on what was done. Maybe you are getting a different procedure?

My current root canal started with 2 treatments a week apart. Both times the excavated canal was fully filled and a proper "cap" installed. There was never an "unfilled, unsealed, half baked" tooth when I left the chair.

The tooth was okay to chew on as soon as I left the chair. The Dentist did advise waiting a few hours to eat to allow the freezing in my cheek to reduce so there was less chance of biting myself.
There is no different procedure for that.
Between root canal treatments there are meds in your tooth, it isn't completly filled, also a temporal filling on the tooth crown will be made to close the canal between fillings.
That temporal "cap" is okay to chew on etc. but the root canal is still "hollow" and being treated with meds.
In the last session of a root canal treatment the root canal will be filled and closed of with a crown filling.
Many times the tooth is weakend by the root canal treatment or gets weak with time and needs a artifical crown put on it.

Google “endocarditis”. Become enlightened.

How do you equate infection with a potential squeeze? Unless he's drinking dirty bay water.

Anyway, I won't argue with you. But I'd give it a go unless my dentist told me not to and threatened additional bills.

Back
Top Bottom