Thoughts on INON D-200 or S-2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Edric William Chong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm using a TG-5 camera and seriously considering getting a strobe. I'm currently looking at either the INON D-200 or S-2000. I like to take mostly macro photos but occasionally wide angle as well if the situation calls for it.

Any thoughts or comments you could share about these two strobes or if you have any other better strobes along the same price range you could suggest will be greatly appreciated.

The TG-5 has 2 apertures f2 or f2.8 so it is less demanding of flash power. It will do f8 but that is achieved by using an ND filter and just wastes light, though in some circumstances with macro may be useful to eliminate ambient light. The TG-5 does not allow manual exposure, in Av you can set aperture, if you use f8 and ISO100 and it forces the shutter speed lower until it reaches the limit of 1/30 sec when on fill flash mode. Otherwise you put the flash in manual and set it to ignore the preflash and try to overpower ambient light.

With the low apertures the S-2000 should have plenty of power for macro or wide and being smaller will balance better with the small size of the TG-5.

I have a TG5 with an S2000 and have been very happy with it but I use it mostly for macro. If I had to do it again, I would have probably opted for something like the D200 knowing it would be more versatile and be better suited for when I upgrade to a larger camera down the road.

Thank you all for your comments. I have purchased the D-200 since the S-2000 was out of stock and it'll be awhile before a new batch arrives. So far I've been happy using the D-200. Been on 11 dives with it and I've taken some pretty decent pictures. Yes the size of the strobe is a little big for the tg-5 but you'll just get used to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom