Thoughts on quick disconects for the guardian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepseamurse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering what people thought about them. like what are the pros and cons and which one would be recomended. My planned setup would be to switch out the guardian with my second stage regulator, and ease of storage.

I use CEJN fittings from Omniswivel which are the industry standard for PSD. They recently release a ball swivel with a check valve and QD on it that I am testing on my Poseidon mask.
If you want to see some of the pros and cons, check out the videos that @Lake Hickory Scuba has on their youtube channel. Lot's of great information on how someone who actually does PSD on a regular basis has his system setup. There's no way I'd dive FFM without a QD though.

Of course underwater! That’s how everyone does it, don’t they?

Disconnecting underwater, especially with a FFM is discouraged. There are ways to do it, but it's not something you want to plan on as standard. If you need a pony bottle, then use a switch blog but leave them plugged in underwater and only use the quick disconnects for convenience at the surface.

Disconnecting underwater, especially with a FFM is discouraged. There are ways to do it, but it's not something you want to plan on as standard. If you need a pony bottle, then use a switch blog but leave them plugged in underwater and only use the quick disconnects for convenience at the surface.
I was being sarcastic. lol. I just wanted to have something that would be easy to switch out in the event of my mask or regulator failing before diving

I like these OmniSwivel High Flow QD | Dive Gear Express®. I don't bother with a check valve since they never get disconnected underwater. It's purely an ease of connection thing. Regardless, get something that's got a lock on it, be it the Omni or the cheap-o's like Randy at Piranha sells.

I wouldn't mind a QD/swivel built in. That could be kinda cool.

I was being sarcastic. lol. I just wanted to have something that would be easy to switch out in the event of my mask or regulator failing before diving

if it's before diving, the QD isn't going to give you all that much time savings or convenience and on a normal second stage is going to add considerable bulk and weight.

@JohnnyC the prototype I have is pretty slick and it's become a standard item from Omniswivel as of a few weeks ago

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom