Thoughts on this setup Sony W7 underwater for less then $400?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travisc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Looking around I have seen the Sony DSC W7 at Crutchfield.com on sale for 249.99 with free shipping using coupon PA440, and I know if you look around on the price search engines you can find the housing MPK-WA for around 140 give or take? This is a 7.2 megapixel camera that uses AA's and has a 2.5" LCD? (downside for some is the memory stick).

You can also get a orange filter which I know will help the warm water photos.

I am looking of for thoughts on this and sharing this if anyone is interestd.

Details on the Camera from Sony.

Details on the Housing from Sony

Review on the Camera from Digital Photography Review

Color Filter Kit

Travis as a long time Sony user, that looks like a nice camera and housing and certainly a great price. Now for the standard Sony warning, they do have a tendency to shift colors green underwater. They always have and probably always will. It is fixable in Photoshop but you should be prepared.

On the filter, save your money. The prevailing wisdom is that a red filter hurts way more than it helps. The right answer is always get close and use a flash. The flash is white light and will bring our the colors if the subject is in range of the flash.

I also use a sony, one feature sony's dont have is manual whiteblance but I still manage to take decent photos and the video option is great and not limited in run time (apart from memory).

Looks like you've shopped around already, check some other threads here about camera options theres alot.

Cecil:
The right answer is always get close and use a flash.

I agree. I use a Sony T3 and started off taking photos too far from the object - and man, did these photos suck!

Looks like you're getting quite a deal on the W7 (which I probably would have gotten if not for my already purchased T3). IMO, I wouldn't bother about the filter. :D

I am considering this camera as well (actually going back and forth between the Canon A620 and this one). Sort of leaning this way because I have another sony and I can use the same memory sticks

I was looking at the housings both Ikelite and Sony make housings. The Ikelite is about $130 more (but have not looked too hard a housings). What is the major diffrence between the two? Which is superiior? Ikelite has a good reputation, but one would think the MFG housing might be superior, (and usually more expensive, but not so in this case).

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Linda

I have this exact setup. You should be able to get good results. There is shutter lag, not huge but noticable. It does not bother me but it makes my wife crazy. It is not her camera so who cares ;-)

I can recommend the filter as it does warm up the pictures. You will either need that or a good flash which will cost as much as the camera if not more.

The results in shallow water, less the 60 Ft. as great but below that I think a flash would help. You may want to look at B&H Photo for the housing and filter. They may even have the best price on the camera. They do a huge business and they have always been prompt with shipment. I have never had an issue so I can't tell you about their service but isn't that a good thing.

I think the W7 is a good all around camera and with the housing and filter it does a very good job especially when you consider the price.

Good Luck,

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom