Thread repost: adjusting Titan lx second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

racerx_

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Had a thread here that got wiped out in the forum glitch last week so reposting..

Basically I bought an aqualung Titan full regulator set, and later purchased a Titan lx second stage. After servicing the lx didn't breathe as smooth as the Titan second stage so was asking for input on it. There were certain things people thought might need adjusting but with the thread wiped out i don't remember what they were.

As an update, I took it back to the Dive shop that serviced it and he adjusted the purge valve about as high as he said he could. It lets out tons of air, but the initial force I need to use to start the airflow is still a bit more than the regular Titan which has a "smoother" feel to the breathing. Sorry I don't know how to describe it in technical terms.

Is there anything else I can look at to tune the reg more? cause he seemed to think he could only adjust that one part

I think herman is the best guy to ask about aqualungs, but assuming the LX does not have a micro-adjuster my a spring is possibly too stiff and this is why you feel it cranks to high. What was the cranking effort on magnahelic anyways? He should have measured that before the reg leaves the shop. If he has few springs laying around the shop you can ask him to try different ones. If it has a microadjuster and he adjusted it to the point it stopped free flowing it might be a ding in the orifice and he had to compensate for that imperfection by increasing the pressure.

Hmm..

I don't know what they did during initial servicing, but as I mentioned when I brought it back he was just raising the purge lever so basically more air is coming out. No measurement after that other than breathing it..

There is no purge adjustment on the LX.
If the oriface was screwed in so far that the DEMAND lever was being depressed then there was absolutely NO tuning done on your reg.
Your shop tech hasn't a clue and is dangerous.

Please take it somewhere else or rent a tank and do it yourself.

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2013 at 07:15 AM ----------

I said in the lost thread that there were 2 places to adjust the LX.....either end of the air barrel.

1. remove the plastic cap on the venturi lever end and unscrew the black plastic plug with an allen key until it stops.
2. remove the hose and unscrew the movable oriface until when connected up and pressurized there is a very very slight leak, then screw back in about 1/16th to 1/8th turn.

Had a thread here that got wiped out in the forum glitch last week so reposting..

Basically I bought an aqualung Titan full regulator set, and later purchased a Titan lx second stage. After servicing the lx didn't breathe as smooth as the Titan second stage so was asking for input on it. There were certain things people thought might need adjusting but with the thread wiped out i don't remember what they were.

As an update, I took it back to the Dive shop that serviced it and he adjusted the purge valve about as high as he said he could. It lets out tons of air, but the initial force I need to use to start the airflow is still a bit more than the regular Titan which has a "smoother" feel to the breathing. Sorry I don't know how to describe it in technical terms.

Is there anything else I can look at to tune the reg more? cause he seemed to think he could only adjust that one part

You need to find somebody who knows what they are doing. He doesn't. N

There is no purge adjustment on the LX..

Maybe i wasnt using the right terminology. I was referring to the purge lever which I believe can be adjusted up and down. It seems to be indicated in the service manual here. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357258381.712496.jpg

Am I understanding that correctly?

Appreciate all the input here. Ill try to do as recommended and find a real tech or do it myself. Slightly frightening since i know nothing about regs and this shop is pretty established here and should be capable of this. The service manual seems a bit vague on how to adjust the reg though and basically just shows me how to take it apart and put it back together.

That's pretty much it, albeit rather crude tuning.
The demand lever height (14) is really not the best way to get maximum performance from your reg.
It's much better to slacken off the movable oriface (as shown in the 1st pic) until the reg just stops leaking.....you'll be connecting and disconnecting the LX quite a few times before you get it spot on. You can leave the front of your reg on when you do this, no need to take it apart.
Do this with the adjusting knob unscrewed all the way out as shown in pic 3 (you won't be able to unscrew it all the way out as there is a stop that prevents it).
If the reg is now breathing too easily and a bit sensitive you should then screw this knob in as per the service manual.
.....on some of the more expensive Legend models this plastic bung is replaced with a diver adjustable metal knob.
(my bet is this knob is probably screwed in a long way and this is why your reg is hard to breathe)

The last two pics show fitting new o rings to the hose. You won't need to do this.

Maybe i wasnt using the right terminology. I was referring to the purge lever which I believe can be adjusted up and down. It seems to be indicated in the service manual here. View attachment 143786

Am I understanding that correctly?

Appreciate all the input here. Ill try to do as recommended and find a real tech or do it myself. Slightly frightening since i know nothing about regs and this shop is pretty established here and should be capable of this. The service manual seems a bit vague on how to adjust the reg though and basically just shows me how to take it apart and put it back together.

Can you PM me the service manual, i have some adjustement to do on my 2 nd stage Titan LX, Thanks

inka,
You can find a manual at: www.frogkick.dk/manuals I don't think they have a Titan LX second stage manual, but you can use the Legend second stage manual for the Titan LX second. Except for cosmetics the Titan LX second is the same as the plain (no adjustment knob) Legend second stage.

inka,
You can find a manual at: www.frogkick.dk/manuals I don't think they have a Titan LX second stage manual, but you can use the Legend second stage manual for the Titan LX second. Except for cosmetics the Titan LX second is the same as the plain (no adjustment knob) Legend second stage.
Thanks, i have the manual for the Legend, my concern was about the ajustment of the screw,on the manual above, picture (15 ) , it shows: "for Suprems, thight 1 turn and 3/4 for others models". In fact, i found in the Legend manual, that you have to screw until the hole appears clear to pass the little pin and then, unscrew a little,to get the pin tight enough not to get out. No indication of how many turns.

Back
Top Bottom