Thread size for Oxygen Sensor / Nitrox Stick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v101

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello -

I am in process of building a Nitrox Stick.
Could someone help me out with the correct size that the Oxygen Sensor is?

I was thinking its 1/2" and will screw directly into this?

If someone could advise on this, it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20170704_151531.jpg
    IMG_20170704_151531.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 107
The O2 sensor comes with an adapter that screws onto it that has an O-ring. The adapter diverts airflow out of the airstream, up to the sensor, and back to the airstream. The adapter slides into a smooth hole and holds with the o-ring. In my opinion you do not want the O2 sensor as far out as your picture shows. The adapter should be right in the air flow.

You could just bore a hole in your straight tube and seal an O2 sensor in there with caulk. When it runs out in a few years you could just pull it out and put a new one in.

That setup will probably delay the response time for your adjustments. I would tap it directly into the tube. There are a number of ways to do that. You could used an oversized rubber bushing that fits the sensor. you could also cut the threaded portion of the fitting off a tee and glue it into a hole drilled in the tube. You could caulk the sensor in but I wouldn't. I have found it good to be able to remove and repinstall it before the sensor was actually used up.

As has been said, drill a hole and the orang seals it the rest of the way. Went through this when I built my stick trying to,figure out what drill bit to use. Wish I could remember the size. I basically guessed and got lucky.

As has been said, drill a hole and the orang seals it the rest of the way. Went through this when I built my stick trying to,figure out what drill bit to use. Wish I could remember the size. I basically guessed and got lucky.
This is the correct answer.

UPDATE -
As per the suggestions, i changed out the T on the nitrox stick and now the 02 sensor is farther inside, almost right into the flow. Pic will be posted of this next visit to garage (probably later today),
I had a used oxygen regulator that I wanted to use, I had a heck of a time with getting the barb off, but managed to get it off. I bought 1/8" male to male, then went into 1/4" NPT adapter. Then put the needle valve on end of that. Now I can adjust the flow with the needle valve.

I have a dwyer flow meter I want to hook up, but for starters figured I would test it out, and see how things went with the needle valve.

I powered up compressor after calibrating the oxygen sensor in the outside air. ran the compressor for about 1 minute and the oxygen sensor read 21%

I slowly opened the oxygen tank, and slowly opened the needle valve, the oxygen meter started creeping higher!
I kept my eye on it, and slowly adjusted some more. It took a good few minutes of slow micro adjustments, to get to 27%, but got there.

I wanted to get to 32%, but for this first run figured Id just let the EAN flow out the end of the hose. I made a few more micro adjustments, and nothing... then a few more, nothing. Thinking some-thing was jacked with the needle valve, I slowly turned it off, and all of a sudden the oxygen meter rose to 32 then 40 then 50%, YIKES....

I turned OFF the oxygen tank all the way, and then the oxygen meter went down to 30 then 25 then settled back to 21%

Enough EAN blending for 1 day, I am next in process of hooking up the flow meter so I can Set it and have the mix where want it.

Anyway here is a pic. Will post the progress after I get the flow meter into the setup.
IMG_20170825_163741.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom