Thread Tags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find information on how to effectively use of thread tags -- I'm not even sure I understand the basics. Here's what I think I know and some questions. Please correct when I'm off base and answer where you can. A link would be great if you can find one.

Tag Purpose: To help internet search engines like Google to index threads using keywords (Tags). It's not clear to me if the Scubaboard search function takes advantage of them or not.

As far as I can tell, you can only add Tags when you start a thread and there is no option to edit them after the "Create Thread" is clicked:
upload_2017-11-23_16-16-23.png

Questions:
  1. Are Tags limited to single words or can short phrases be used?
  2. Can anyone provide guidelines?
  3. How many Tags are reasonable/are there limits?
  4. Use or avoid Acronyms?
  5. Are there any advanced syntax tricks that can be used like "exclude words", whole phrase only, number ranges, etc?
  6. I'm guessing that Tags should only be used informational-type threads rather than ones that are more conversational. True or is there more to it?
  7. I have never added Tags to a thread. Do they show anywhere?
Thanks in advance.

Looks like short phrases work.
When I tapped on your tag rather than adding mine it overwrote yours, that probably shouldn’t work that way.

Go up to the top of this thread- right below the title you should see a tag “tag info” and an edit link right next to it.

TC:

That helps but I'm having trouble connecting the dots. The XenForo examples don't match up to what I see in Scubaboard. Please indicate when options are for Scubaboard moderators only versus those that can be accessed by all members. Thanks.

Not sure why it’s not showing up for you, any user should see them.

I’ll look into it more when I’m not working on my phone.

Look at a thread in basic to see if you see them there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom