Three rare scuba diving titles for sale: what is their value

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Le pouvoir

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have in my possession three very rare books, each one based on scuba diving, and I am looking to sell them. I would like to know how much the SCUBA community values each of these books.

The books are the following:

"Underwater Sport" 1955 hardback first edition written by Albert Vanderkogel with Rex Lardner. Copyright, 1955, by Henry Holt and Company, Inc. New York.

"The Science of Skin and Scuba Diving: Adventuring with Safety Under Water ", first edition hardcover 1957 by Conference for National Co-operation in Aquatics.

"The NEW Science of Skin and Scuba diving", hardback 1962 by Conference for National Co-operation in Aquatics, revised edition. Illustrations by Andre Ecuyer. Association Press New York.

These are extremely rare books; however, they are so specialized that even so called book experts aren't familiar with them. I'm interested in having the SCUBA community's input into the books' value and notoriety.

Thanks

Hard or soft and condition make a huge difference. For the most part the only marks that don't detract from the value is the author's signature. A well know diver's name inside "might" add some value.

"The NEW Science of Skin and Scuba diving", hardback 1962

That was the textbook used in my first diving class.

Did you see the last price, it is well over 1.000 dollars! That's what is so bewildering. Maybe that seller knows something we don't? And their version isn't even brand new, but ''good''. The version I have is indeed hardback 1962 first revised edition, but it doesn't have that cover. Perhaps that's the dust jacket? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Hard or soft and condition make a huge difference. For the most part the only marks that don't detract from the value is the author's signature. A well know diver's name inside "might" add some value.

That was the textbook used in my first diving class.
Each book is the first impression, all hardbacks. "underwater sport" is in really good condition, minimal wear on cover. The science of Skin and Scuba diving does have a stained cover, and red underlining throughout the book, but everything is well intact. The NEW science of Skin and Scuba Diving also has a stained cover, but no highlighting or any marking throughout the the pages, they're in great condition. Both of the last two mentioned have the former owners' names inside the covers, but neither person seem to be a well-known diver, at least according to the internet...

Last edited:
They are worth whatever someone is prepared to pay you for them. These are not a commodity - are you looking for insurance value or to sell them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom