Throw in the towel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As some have said before, maybe this is not for you, but IF you really feel that it is, and you really want to do this, then you can probably work through it. It may take time though. If you are uncomfortable breathing underwater, perhaps you would try sitting on the edge of the pool, with your feet in the water, breathing from your reg, just getting used to the mechanical breathing, eventually you can hopefully get into the water, and maybe swim around a bit on the surface. Try not to focus so much on breathing underwater, try to put it in the back of your mind, I doubt that you always think about breathing when you are sitting here reading this, so try to relax, and I hope that you can get through this, but, if you find that it seems impossible, don't beat your head against the wall trying to get it, if diving isn't for you, then you are only cutting into time that you could be spending on your new hobby of ________. Good luck!

P.S. Don't rush it. Rushing is what causes many accidents, on land or in water, take your time, and make sure that you are 100% comfortable with what you are doing.

Getting certified can be kind of nerve racking, I'm like your husband, in that, I'm a fish, but, I was nervous and felt pressure during my OW. I got over it quickly but, my wife had a tougher time with it than I did. A couple of times she got frustrated almost to the point of tears. During our OW dives I just kept reminding her that we were in no hurry. I kept telling her "You payed a lot of money to the instructor for this. He works for you, so he will go at your pace, not you at his, or anyone elses." We practiced in a pool by ourselves with things like equalization and mask clearing(the things she was having problems with) without the pressure of having other students and the instructor waiting on us. She eventually got it down and now really enjoys diving. Just remember to go at your pace, not anybody elses. Also, you might try snorkelling on your trip. Then you can enjoy the underwater world and have the safety of the surface right there nearby. Your husband can dive on your trip with another diver that is there to scuba and you do something you enjoy. Then, when he's not diving, you both can go snorkelling. That way you both can enjoy the underwater world together. It's not too hard to talk a scuba diver into snorkelling. Usually, as long as they're underwater with a fish, they're pretty happy. And if it turns out that you don't like diving. No big deal..you tried.. that's the main thing. You are an adventurer for having tried.

HOW IMPRESSED AM I!!!!!

You've managed to do something I dont think many of us have ever managed......You got Joewr to be serious

Congratulations hun!!
Good luck on whatever you decide to do....but make sure its your decision.

ScubaBaby,

When have I ever used the word, "serious"? That does not sound like the kind of word I would throw around.

Joewr (wondering)

JavaMama,

You have my complete understanding, sympathy and respect. I suffer from acrophobia and wouldn't dream of skydiving or visiting the observation area of the Empire State building. I am afraid that most people think a phobia is something that you can get over if "you take it at your own pace".

Sorry folks, it don't work that way. You'll never see me at the Grand Canyon :wink:

LOL. Because of that I will agree with Super Regulator Joewr on this; if your desire to dive is greater than your claustrophobia, then go for it. Otherwise, enjoy all the great things that don't terrify you. Life's too short. :)

I think that I'm feeling better about it all. The fact is, I went into this knowing that it was going to be something that I wasn't sure that I could do or even wanted to do, but I really wanted to try. I thought that I had released myself to learn at my own pace or to not have to do it all, but I guess I put myself under way too much pressure to succeed and be a diver _now_.

But I have learned some things. First, baby steps. The ocean is both a beautiful and fearful thing to me. At this stage, if I'm honest, to be able to snorkel with no fear and feeling comfortable in the ocean is a big deal. So, to imagine myself actually going UNDER all of that water...whew! But, hey, I'm only 45, so I've got the rest of my life to get there. : )

I hope that my struggle will be an encouragement to other newbies out there. I know it was for me when I was starting. It really helped to hear the ones who struggled with scuba but overcame and are now enjoying it. But like so many of you have reminded me, it has to be because it is something that you like and _want_ to do for yourself.

Thanks again.

javamama

Hello,

Sounds like a classic case of hydrophobia to me (similar to claustrophobia) The solution is so simple it's not funny. It does take a special instructor who's familar with it and knows how to deal with it but you can make a full recovery and actually enjoy diving.

As stated above diving underwater is very alien to the human body but it can be trained to overcome this obsticle. What is recomended is to start in the shallow end of the pool and slowly adjust to that then add one step at a time. I.e. get used to breathing underwater, then actually put the bc on and get use to the feel of it. Also the equipment makes a world of difference, as if your using stuff that you don't feel confortable or uneasy with you'll have a harder/longer time adjusting to it. Some people are more suited towards certain types of dives than others, i.e. colder water, limited visibility, overhead, etc.. There is NO one correct way of doing things.

As for getting 'psyched' I suspect that there's some reservations (either on the part of the people your diving with, the location, the equipment, time of year, etc) about doing this particular issue. I.e. you can take a person who has alot of stress level at dive spot A and put them in dive spot B and you'll never see that stress level, why? the situation makes all the difference in the world. Why is this important? Because there's a specific type of diving that best suited to you and you need to figure out what type that is. Think about what enviroments you want to be in, what situations you would be more at ease with and once you have that work towards it.

By no means should you ever dive when you have a bad feeling about it. This is where pre-dive visualization comes in. Start by thinking of what you want to dive (situation/enviroment/etc.) then plan everything (here control is critical as you'll feel more at ease and 'in control' of the situation) plan the dive then dive your plan. Before the dive think about the beauty of what it must feel like to actually have this 'dream dive', get into a state of relaxation and just mentaly imagine diving. Once you get into the water you'll have a possitive attitude and your body will be eagerly looking forward to filling the mental images you just gave yourself.

Durring the dive when you feel yourself becoming stressed just imagine that mental image you gave yourself back on the surface and think how calm you felt then and tell yourself you are calm and in control. In fact YOU are in control at ALL times, you just need to constantly reassure yourself of this. I find that stressed divers tend to look at their mistakes and are so self conscious that they forget the critical issue at hand, have fun and enjoy yourself. In situations like this it's imperative to distract the attention to the surroundings, like that fish, that rock formation, that intricate pattern of schooling fish, that goby, or ANYTHING to distract the self imposed pressure of performing (in a pool this is very hard to do as there's hardly nothing to look at.

hydrophobia/claustrophobia isn't something that you "just get over" it's a conditional responce to a specific type of conditions. Find out what the key is that makes you uneasy and work to remove that factor. Just remember your not alone as many, MANY, divers have encountered this situation and have overcome it, so can you.

I hope this helps.

Ed

Javamama,

I've heard from my instructor, that some people take a lot longer than others. I think you should find an instructor you feel comfortable with, and start fresh.

It seems that you had other things on your mind while you were trying to learn scuba.

I think if you find a couple of good friends to do it with you, and you make it into a fun thing, all of that "psyche" stuff will go away.
You mentioned that you are well aware of all safety, breathing and excersizes. That is a good start!
Take what you know and enhance it, try to perfect it. Don't let your head play with you.

I'm fairly new to diving, and I have realized that I have had to take control of some fears that pop into my head during the dive.

I hope this helps!

If you feel rushed because of the pressures of a deadline (the trip) on top of the regular anxiety when first learning to dive, it can be overwhelming. Baby steps are the way to go. Try snorkeling for a bit. If that feels funny, in the shallow end of a pool, try staying in one spot, breathing your your snorkel under your breathing rate calms down. Once snorkeling is no big deal, then try purposefully flooding and clearing your snorkel without taking your head out of the water. Once this can be done without any stress, then move on to finishing up the scuba class. Remember, you're doing this for enjoyment. Good luck!

Javamama
I have a dive buddy that after 5 years of diving he became frightened underwater and stopped diving until his son, my son and myself became certified. He started practicing with the kids in his pool. Still no go. Then we started together and started using the board to talk then did some removal of mask..free flow etc and even vaccuummed the pool. We found his mind had to be taken off that he was underwater and focused on what was going on around him. Even when we go OW he would have the same problem until I'd start to point things out and we would pick up a rock or look into a spring, then he was fine and a great partner for the rest of the dive. I think it is getting involved with your surroundings and not occupied with the confinement. Enjoy the surroundings... don't chant that you will overcome the surroundings. If you can't get involved with the beauty around underwater, do it on top an enjoy life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom