Thumbs down! (TANK)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These have a REE number stamped on the crown..

Bob...

Numbering regardless of what it is should make no difference...

My vintage triples date back to 1950/51...I've re-hydro'd scuba tanks dating back to the 1960's...and more than a few K-cylinders with US Military stamping dating to WWII era...

In my opinion...the only time numbering would factor in is if a ''bad batch'' of cylinders with consecutive numbers has been ''previously identified'' as having had problems...

When I first started working as a dive shop tech I used to thumb my nose at some of the old tanks...silently mumbling to myself why divers want to dive with this old...s**t...that feeling rapidly changed after inspection of these old cylinders revealed...excellent threads...pristine internal walls...passed visual...passed re-hydro...and in more than one case after wet sanding and re-finishing the exterior...they were like new again...my triples are a prime example...which have more re-hydro stamps than 20 tanks have a right too...

Their intended use back in 1950/51 was medical oxygen service...1800 PSI working pressure...

Warren...

DSCF1001.JPG

Update - He condemned the cylinder (stating he must per DOT) so I cannot get it tested elsewhere....

This sounds so familiar to me..I had a Faber LP 95 fail hydro yesterday.

When I went to the LDS in Lynnwood WA to pick up the one that had passed - they made me an offer.

I paid for the hydro on both tanks - $ 50.00 ea; and if I buy a used tank from them
( Faber LP 90 ) they would put the $ $ 50.00 in credit on that LP90 cylinder. It's not an awful deal.

I asked the store employee, "So, how many come in for a hydro in, say, a month and
how many have failed since you've worked here ?" His response was about 10-12 for hydro a month, he's worked there just over a year, and my tank was now the third steel that had failed hydro.
Quick math says 120 tanks, with 3 failures..so one tank in 40 on average.
Statistically that's still pretty damned rare, but I always knew it was a chance it would happen to me.

Basically, the hydro tester followed the requirements, but did not follow the "common practice"....

The "round out" id specifically identified for HP tanks, but not so for LP. Even if done, the problem can be that the tester did not let the tank "stabilize". The round out says 30 seconds MINIMUM, OR UNTIL STABILIZATION. It is more than likely that the tank, due to the galvanized coating, was still in "flux" at the 30 second mark, and they stopped the procedure. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

It seems, however, that my LDS is now no longer going to be using this facility...

Maybe it’s time to look at side mount? Or a rebreather for those longer dives.

how would going side mount have any bearing on this? It still requires tanks, and tanks need to be hydro-tested...

I honestly have no interest in RB at this stage of my life...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom