Tie a knot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that you mention it, my buddy line and Jon line are made from webbing. I think it works just as well as the rope. Its all about what you have handy, for me it was webbing 1". I like it because it rolls up very nicely and i can store it almost anywhere.

Andy

I probably could leave it at home, but it has come in handy a few times. Last wreck dive there were too many people on the anchor line so i just clip in and back off. Also had a a few 0' vis dives and i used my jon line as a buddy line. Not sure what other people are doing but it has come in handy a few times, i think its around 5 to 7' long.

I dont do enough boat dives to really warrent carrying it, but it has been a useful item to carry.

whats everyone else doing? no jon line?

Andy

Originally posted by trymixdiver

whats everyone else doing? no jon line?
Andy

Well we usually don't anchor the boat if there is a significant current... we prefer to keep it live.... so there is no need to *hang* onto the anchor rode.

This last saturday we dove in a current and kept the boat live... when we were ready to ascend we shot a bag at 45' and difted with it. My buddy held onto the spool and occassionally jerked it down to keep the bag from leaving us, but we don't *hang on the bag*.

The second dive was next to no current but considerable windage and so we dropped a grapple and the boat rode to the line. On ascent we didn't want to fight a bag in the wind so we just ascended up the angled anchor line.... but we never touch it.

Now I understand that it is customary in some locations to anchor a boat in heavy current that requires divers to hang on the anchor line as they ascend.... I don't think I would like to dive off of a boat operated that way.

I rarely do boat dives because they dont like it when we show up with doubles let alone a deco bottle or 2. Also, last time i did a boat dive it was a mixed group, tech, OW, AOW, Rescue... needless to say it was a disaster. We got anchored in shallow water( because of the OW group) and then the Captain was so pissed at us he would have dropped depth charges had he had some. Apparently this captain was expecting to dive 3 locations and we were still decoing when most diver had finished there 2nd dives. My LDS set this trip up and insured us there was no problem with tech diving.

sorry way off topic

Think i used it as a Jon line 1 time. I dont need it at all i usually dive a wall and when we turn the dive we deco asending the wall. Last 30' we may shoot a bag depending on surface conditions. Most of my dives are off the beach in SD La Jolla Submarine Canyon.

Andy

Originally posted by trymixdiver
I rarely do boat dives because they dont like it when we show up with doubles let alone a deco bottle or 2. Also, last time i did a boat dive it was a mixed group, tech, OW, AOW, Rescue... needless to say it was a disaster.

We are diving our own boat so that is not a problem. The first charter I ever went on here was a month ago and it was all tech divers so no problem. Weekend before last we went with a group of rec divers to Canada but the dives were such that it wasn't a problem and we kept our total run time within what was reasonable for the whole group.

Sounds like the situation you were in was unworkable. Come up to Puget Sound and we'll take you out.

Knotting is not a problem for cave line. It's still preferable to replace the damaged line, but, in a pinch, knotting is fine. Use a sheet bend.

- Warren

I would also use a knot... but the prussic or the rewoven figure eight would hold wet lines a lot better. The square (reef) and it's variant, the sheet bend are great knots, but they aren't forgiving of man made or slippery materials. Now a square knot with stops (simple overhand) on each end would probably be safe enough, but the prussic and the rewoven figure eight would definitely be my choice.

Once out of the water, it would be best to replace it.

NetDoc,

You're the master of knots, it seems. The only knots I've ever seen used (with my own eyes) in cave diving applications are:

The bowline
The sheet bend
The figure-eight (uncommon)

A bigger vocabulary of knots, though, is certainly valuable. :) Thanks.

- Warren

Pete,
I don't know what to call this but it is the knot I use:

You make a slip knot around the standing end of line one with line two... then you make a slip knot around the standing end of line two with the bitter end of line one... then you cinch them together....

Then if you are paranoid you put a drop of super glue on the knot. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom