Tie a knot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Start off with a figure 8 knot...

for a loop, make the standing end long enough to encircle whatever it is you need it to. Now put it around whatever the whatever was and re-weave the knot, following from where the standing end exits all the way through to where it becomes the working end. The strands will parallel each other.

TO use as a connecting knot, keep the standing end of the first piece of rope small. Now re-weave with the other piece, starting into the knot where the standing end comes out and paralleling it all the way through to the other side. The climbing world has discarded the bowline and the square (reef) knot in favor of the rewoven figure 8.

The other knot (Prusik) is actually made from two grapevine knots. Actually, I used the nomenclature wrong, as I see I was taught it wrong. You use the grapevine knots to MAKE the line used for the Prusik. But once tied, they will NOT slip, even when the rope is slippery (like wet or man made materials)

Check this link for some clarification... It is an awesome knot link!!!

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/7944/knots.htm

BTW… taking a climbing course really adds to your knot knowledge. Taking the Climbing Instructor’s course is quite an intense experience. You learn how to do CPR while suspended in mid air (works in the water too!!!). You also learn how to manage task loading while letting yourself and the victim safely down a wall. I do believe that it has made me a better diver.

With just some minor variations, your two slip knots could probably morph into the double grapevine knots. They ain't goin' nowhere!!!

Originally posted by NetDoc
With just some minor variations, your two slip knots could probably morph into the double grapevine knots. They ain't goin' nowhere!!!
Yeah.... I was looking at the website you posted and figured the same but my little knot for little bitty line is not as robust as the grapevine (which looks like two figure 8s on the standing parts.)
Instead of the 8s I an just tying grannys :wink:

The line we use for the Prusik is not that much bigger than the line on my caving reel. It is also used for the real slippery monofiliment... Pretty soon and I will be converting you to the TIR (Tie It RIght) philosophy... :tease:

Rule #1... Don't tie with thumbs!

Originally posted by NetDoc
The line we use for the Prusik is not that much bigger than the line on my caving reel. It is also used for the real slippery monofiliment... Pretty soon and I will be converting you to the TIR (Tie It RIght) philosophy... :tease:

Rule #1... Don't tie with thumbs!

You climb with prussics made from cave line!!!!! :confused:

In the FD we used 3/8" (or so) line for prussics....

You must be a real little bitty feller if cave line will hold you.

And what's wrong with my thumbs :thumb:

that my prusik line is only 3mm. It might be 5mm, but I can't find it right now to measure it. It is definately less then 3/16" but it could easily hold two or three of me.

As for my "svelte" figure... lets just say I followed the "Fat guy on Deco" thread with more than an avid interest. Although, I AM doing what you suggested that he do and am trying to change my fat%. Working out has been good to me. The only reason that I do not pursue climbing anymore is that I had a massive separration in my rt shoulder while about 25 ft+ on the wall. The static line I was on was retired after it was "shocked" and the surgeon let me know in NO uncertain terms that I was not allowed to ascend any more... so I started descending instead. I still teach/assist climbing merit badge for the Boy Scouts... I just can't demonstrate anymore. However, if I lost enough poundage, I just might try to climb again. The arms are feeling pretty buff!

AND before anyone "jumps" me on this... you should always climb with your legs. I over-extended my grasp, and shifted my weight on outstretched arms, and "pop" went the shoulder. A stupid mistake that cost me doing any more climbing. I won't make the same mistake with SCUBA diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom