Tiger Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiger beach is a great place for sharks. Tons of lemons, Caribbean reef, and of course the tigers. These sharks will come very close, if fact you get bumped by the lemons for sure, and maybe a few of the tigers. Chum is used on the dives to attract the sharks. Tiger beach itself is just like a sandbar, so the dives are 20 feet or shallower. You can have really long dives at that depth. Other sites are reefs and are a little deeper. Jim Abernethy runs the best operation in my opinion, and he WILL introduce you to a lot of sharks. His boat is small and not luxurious, but that's not why you're there. Here's my video of the trip I took to tiger beach in 2010. https://vimeo.com/9590942

I agree completely. Jim is the "THE MAN" when it comes to Tiger Beach. I've done the trip with him five times -- and can't wait to go back again! He even named one of the tiger sharks after my daughter, Kimberly, who was the youngest diver at tiger beach until her younger brother went with us the following year. I think she is still the youngest to dive with the tiger sharks at night.

And, to clarify, he doesn't "chum" -- he "baits". I know that sounds like semantics, but what he does is use bait crates of dead fish so the scent attracts the sharks. He doesn't put out chum or even feed the sharks.

For more information, go to Bahamas & Palm Beach, Florida Scuba Diving :: Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures

Doug

Doug is correct about chumming, and that is an important decision. However Jim doesn't need bait. He told us that he was hired by Nat geo once. Their boat had all the bait around it, but the sharks were so used to the silhouette of Jim's boat that they all went to his boat. Just go. Call Jim and go.

Since everyone here is commenting on Jim's boat, it is only fair I put a good word in for the other best boat out there: Dolphin Dream. I have been on Jim's boat, but I choose to charter a week on the dolphin dream for the last 3 years because I like it better. It is cheaper and more comfortable too. Both boats use the same (better) crate method. I do not allow the crew to hand-feed on my charter but both crews do with other groups.

Still have spaces on my March 2013 trip.

Jim Abnernathy is the way to go. He is the "first" to do this and knows how to do it well. Briefings on safety are thorough and if you do what he says you will have no problems. I saw the most beautiful tigers sharks on my trip and took breathtaking photographs because of Jim. Lemon's, reef sharks, bull sharks and even Hammerheads were there, but nothing compares to that massive tiger shark within arms length of you. :)

This is one of my top dives, even over the great whites I saw in Mexico.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom