Tight budget, but still want an UW camera!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brocnizer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I need a camera that is good on land and okay under water. My wife bought me the Sealife DC1000, but the land pictures are horrible! Sent it back.

After more research I have decided on the Canon S90. I'll probably get the Canon housing, but I am really trying to avoid the strobe. After reading all the threads it seems that one is very necessary.

Does anyone have any pictures with the S90 without the strobe? From what I read I might be okay in macro mode with the one camera flash, but anything further than that is hopeless.

Thanks!

An external strobe is required with ALL underwater cameras in practical use. Yes, you can snap pics using the internal strobe and some will luck out and be very nice. No, you cannot get the pro looking, quality, clear, well lighted pictures with any camera underwater without an external strobe. It is simply that way.

I could be wrong but the S90 even in the Canon DC-35 housing is a far better camera than the Sea Life unit. The S90 is a pro-sumer P&S from a major company invested deeply in it's image and quality, the other, not so much, the difference shows as you have seen.

Not to start a fire storm but as a long time and now ex 35mm film camera user, unfortunately the results I see from the majority of digital cameras just does not look right to me, including the S90. The photos look "digital" and forced like they are trying too hard to be a real photographs from a real camera. Something I cannot put my finger on, visible in a printed image but lost by the time both are processed through the digital nether world.

N

Something to keep in mind about the S90 and macro work. The closest it focuses is about two inches away. The smallest image it can photograph is about 2.5 inches.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I might just get the camera and housing and start slow. i can always add the strobe. I'm not looking for Nat Geo quailty pics, at least not yet.

Does anyone have pics with this camera only using the camera flash?

How would this compare to a sea and sea DX2g? Seems like they are close in price. The Sea and Sea is 12 MP. The sea and sea is designed to be an underwater camera.

Can you do TTL flash with the canon later?

SS-DX-2G.jpg

I might just get the camera and housing and start slow. i can always add the strobe. I'm not looking for Nat Geo quailty pics, at least not yet.

In that case Do NOT get the ikelite housing with the S90, you really need a strobe with that housing (and then its great).

Does anyone have pics with this camera only using the camera flash?

The S90 if that is what you are asking about, there are very few pics posted because it is so new.

It ia more than getting "National Geographic" pictures. People seem to misunderstand.

With internal strobe:

P6170071_edited-1.jpg

With external strobe:

IMG_1384_edited-1.jpg

Neither are National Geographic pics I can assure you. Had there been a lot of particulate matter in the water then the top photo would have been completely horrid instead of just washed out.

I think the OP would be OK with a S90 or even much lesser camera as long as he understands the limitations of working without a strobe.

N

Has anyone used a canon SD600 under water. Is it acceptable for a "starter" UW camera. ($200 for the housing)

Last edited:
The S90 and G11 are excellent cameras. You may eventually decide to add a strobe, and you will be able to take pictures with a strobe that you can`t get without.

If you often dive bright tropical waters, you may consider shooting natural light with filters. I often use Magic Filters (M A G I C - F I L T E R S) when I have good vis and lots of light. Best when used in <30ft or so. it`s a good cheap alternative to strobes to get amazing colors in my pics using natural light.

in any event, imho, I consider teh canon g11 and s90 the best compact on the market and do not think that you need a strobe to get excellent pictures under certain conditions.

However, in low vis/low light/deeper depths, you will eventually want to add a strobe to your tool kit.

just my .02 psi
john

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom