Time for Flu shots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Last year's flu season killed the most people in the U.S. in 4 decades

The vaccine was not especially effective last year, but still a good bet to take. I hope they got this year right this time. It may be a little early as the vaccination does wear out in time, but I'm getting mine the next trip into town.

Egg allergies not a contradiction anymore. Full details here: www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/egg-allergies.htm

There are always those who claim they caught the flu from the vaccination, but that's impossible with a dead virus vaccine. Sometimes people do get sick during the two weeks before it works, or maybe they got a strain not covered, or maybe it wasn't flu - but still the better bet.

I get my second pneumonia shot this year and hope that helps, altho that vaccine has a low help ratio, too. My young daughter just got over a case that was disabling.

Two neighbors got this year's flu shot two weeks ago. Both said the same thing: They've never had such a reaction before. Most years, no reaction at all. this year? Four days of hot red blotch at injection site and sore arm. So...be warned.

I work as a volunteer for the flu clinics in my town and I never give anyone “red hot” anything.
Maybe they should have accepted the alcohol wipe and bandaid at the injection site?
Don’t forget shingles vaccine has been updated too, I get my follow up injection tomorrow. If I do get a “red hot” Experience, it still beats the full flu-hell or the shingles blindness, in contrast.

Two neighbors got this year's flu shot two weeks ago. Both said the same thing: They've never had such a reaction before. Most years, no reaction at all. this year? Four days of hot red blotch at injection site and sore arm. So...be warned.
I always do a few pushups, right then & there in Walmart. Prevents soreness.

I have gotten a sore injection site from tetanus booster shot, now that I think of it, so, i agree, it is better to not plan to need to exert that arm for the next day or so after a vaccination, if you can help it.

Bubbles, I didn't say anyone gave them a red hot anything. I said, quite clearly I thought, that their ARMS developed a red blotch, accompanied by a feeling of heat, at the injection site.

Yes, DUH, the pharmacy they have used for many other things does know how to use alcohol wipes and how to prep an injection site.

What they had was a REACTION and if you read the accompanying literature with almost any vaccination, it warns that you may get a localized reaction often a RED BLOTCH and HOT feeling.

This is also apparently fairly common with the Shingrix vaccinations. The new 2-shot Shingles vaccine is producing sore arms and red blotches on many more customers than the old Zostervax single-shot did. The pharmacy tech who gave me my shots warned me about that expressly, and I was damned glad afterwards that I had chosen the timing so I wouldn't be exerting anything with that arm for a few days after the shot.

THIS YEAR'S FLU VACCINATION IS PRODUCING DIFFERENT REACTIONS IN AT LEAST SOME PEOPLE WHO PREVIOUSLY HAD NO REACTIONS. Even with their usual and competent suppliers/techs.

And that is to be expected, since every year the flu vaccination IS DIFFERENT to match the predicted strains.

And that is sooooooo much worse than spending 7-10 days laid up with the flu.
That sort of reaction is possible with pretty much any vaccination, and your neighbors are very much in the minority. We just vaccinated our entire ED. One person told me they had that reaction.

I have gotten a sore injection site from tetanus booster shot, now that I think of it, so, i agree, it is better to not plan to need to exert that arm for the next day or so after a vaccination, if you can help it.
I always do a few pushups right after any shot to prevent soreness, usually in Walmart's pharmacy.

I got mine at work the first day it was offered to me. Life is tough enough without unnecessary illnesses I can avoid. Historically it's been well-tolerated me with; a little injection site soreness, that's it. Been getting flu shots annually pretty much for a good 20 years.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom