Time to complete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njclifford

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy,

signed up to do a Dive Con crossover about 18 months ago, and due to several factors such as work, family problems etc have not filled in everything to get it.

Is there a time limit imposed by SSI on having to finish a course once started?

Am just making sure I know this because I know they will give me grief when I go in and ask to have it all completed.

Thanks

I pulled the following information from the SSI Training and Dealer Standards changes for 2011 which just came out:

Time Period of Completion: All SSI programs
are required to be completed within 6 months of
their last academic/pool/confined water training. If
it has been more than 6 months, the Dive Center/
Instructor will need to conduct a reevaluation to
determine if the student is proficient in the
academic and water skills to continue. If it has
been more than 12 months since the start of the
SSI program the student must repeat a complete
program.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

If you are still in good standing with the shop that you started the crossover course with, talk to the shop owner. They have quite a bit of flexibility and you should be able to work out some sort of deal. I know the standards said 'all' programs but I think one could argue that the standard is geared less to the professional track.

Do what Scott says, go to the LDS, talk to them and see what they can do for you. While Dockmaster is correct, those are also General Training Standards. Dive Con is not general training. If you are on good terms with your LDS, got everything done the first time and it is all signed off then they could help you through an accelerated version. There is more latitude for teaching DiveCon that openwater.

Back
Top Bottom