Time to open the Solo Forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's see how this works completely open. There are lots of people with questions about solo diving and I think the open dialog will help them understand you. Now, if this was still a polarizing topic, like say DIR, then we would allow only reading. They got tired of the same questions being thrown at them like some sort of challenge.

However, if you see a post or thread that is trying to demean or challenge why you solo dive, hit the report button and let staff handle it. Too often, people try to duke it out rather than let the mods intervene. It's been designated a "No Troll" zone, so help us keep it that way.

Just so everyone understands, this was a pretty radical move on our part when we did it. People left SB over it and told us it would be our demise. Solo diving has become pretty common place since then and there doesn't seem to be much of a line drawn in the sand. :D

Yes, I agree with uncfnp. If we are going to change it at all, at least make it opt-in to post.

Let's see how this works completely open. There are lots of people with questions about solo diving and I think the open dialog will help them understand you. Now, if this was still a polarizing topic, like say DIR, then we would allow only reading. They got tired of the same questions being thrown at them like some sort of challenge.

However, if you see a post or thread that is trying to demean or challenge why you solo dive, hit the report button and let staff handle it. Too often, people try to duke it out rather than let the mods intervene. It's been designated a "No Troll" zone, so help us keep it that way.

Just so everyone understands, this was a pretty radical move on our part when we did it. People left SB over it and told us it would be our demise. Solo diving has become pretty common place since then and there doesn't seem to be much of a line drawn in the sand. :D

So be it. Let the games begin! :D

... Just so everyone understands, this was a pretty radical move on our part when we did it. People left SB over it and told us it would be our demise. ...
Who left? Pilotfish?

Not my choice, but I applaud your willingness to make the hard decisions.

Nothing is going to happen, Pete.

You expecting all the solo divers to get together and revolt? :rofl3:

I believe this predated pilot fish, but there were a number of instructors who thought we were being reckless and they left. Most probably came back over the years. Some of the things that cause controversy are kind of funny in hind sight.

Good move Pete.

Solo is losing its "stigma". Still, the majority of divers will probably always dive with a buddy or group... heck, many of us solo divers dive with buddies sometimes :wink:

Like sex, it is better that the "kids" (new divers) come here to ask questions, without any restrictions, so that they can better make informed decisions.

Best wishes.

I don't know how much of a "mainstream" is going. Following the ZGear thread shows a lot of the exact elements that we try to avoid here.

"Solo is bad" "Solo is bad but if you do it the way I do it, is not so bad" "You are out of your mind if you don't do as I say"

...and let's not forget the continuous sprinklings of "I always make sure to explain to others how I only solo under A-B and C circumstances, but that's bad"

To have that here? really? look around, is so nice and quiet... let's just figure a way to keep the sidemount thread that just started.... hmmm with all the hose connections and valves, is perfect for SB.

I am just responding to my name being referenced and I would like to have the opportunity to clarify a few things. I want to post my final conclusion to my thread, and I wanted you and others on this thread to read it, so all can understand what was accomplished at the end of my original post.

"After reading all of the posts on the thread I have come to the conclusion of the following:

Solo diving although prohibited and discouraged in OW(SSI) training is , with out a doubt alive and very popular among experienced divers. I never realized this, until now.Good eye opener.

Having said that, it does not justify the current approach most schools have toward this subject. It needs to at least clarify the following to newer divers like myself. The mere fact that as one gains experience is not enough to jump in to solo diving. It is the kind of experience coupled with a degree of knowledge necessary to equip ones self for solo diving. This constitutes a higher level of training that is not taught in most dive training programs.

Instead of hiding the subject of solo diving they should directly address it and ensure that there is a proper training program for it. All the OW training programs should have something similar to the SDI solo diver course. It does a have 100 logged dives prerequisite which is understandable. It also requires an SDI advanced certification or equivalent. This is definitely a good direction.

I apologize, If some were offended by the first statement that you "opt do something that you know is unsafe". You have to understand, this is what is taught in OW course. It is not what I believe, it is what I knew before I decided to post this thread.

I learned a lot from most of your inputs, a lot of good info and tips on what to do and not to do. VERY HELPFUL.

Thanks

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

There many new divers who will eventually run into this topic as I did. It is the training program that they got there certification that has instilled a notion that the solo diving is prohibited and should not be done. They did not advise anyone on how they could get more training if they wished to do this in the future just like any advanced skill in diving.

This means those who ask this type of question are really not at fault. So try and put yourself in my shoes or others who want to solo some day but aren't sure if its OK to do. Its really not that difficult. Until all the schools have addressed this topic, you will get more and more curious newbies asking the same questions, its only normal.

I think you should look at it differently. Asking experienced people or mentors is the best way to get information. Why be harsh or rude to new divers when all they are seeking is advice from experienced divers. I find it rather odd.

I want to make it clear that asking for advice does not mean I will jump in an solo right now. Obviously, if your going to start with "if you have to ask your not ready". Then you just shut the door for anyone, just curious about solo diving. That statement is misleading. It almost feels like a gag order.

Asking question about this topic was a good thing, I know many where bent about my post but whats the point of this being so hidden, if people like me don't really know so many are doing it. I have not ran into any solo divers at my dive sites yet. The SSI course taught us not to ever solo dive, and you guys get mad because someone asks, is solo diving OK to do and Why?

Did I mention I do want to Solo dive?

..//... I want to post my final conclusion to my thread,
This is ScubaBoard and you will come to find that there is no such thing... :wink:
..//... So try and put yourself in my shoes or others who want to solo some day but aren't sure if its OK to do.
We've all been there.
..//... I think you should look at it differently. Asking experienced people or mentors is the best way to get information. Why be harsh or rude to new divers when all they are seeking is advice from experienced divers. I find it rather odd.
Well, for the board, this really hasn't been either harsh or rude. The solo forum has a history of being blunt, direct, and respectful of the idea that some people just plain dive how they wish. We make suggestions and argue over details here too.

"We" sounds funny to me but I can't find words to get around it. I am not part of a group, I'm not speaking for anyone other than myself, I'm a solo diver. It is my favorite way to dive unless I'm in a cave then I'm the best buddy you ever had.
..//... Then you just shut the door for anyone, just curious about solo diving. That statement is misleading. It almost feels like a gag order.
OK, some forums are closed. But what does that mean? The old solo forum was visible under the Forum Homepage. All you had to do was attempt to go there and find out you had to "join". You join by yourself. Mouse click. You are in. Now you could see all the solo feed but only if you were logged in. If you were lurking, you couldn't see anything. Some Forums require permission by a specific person or persons. Solo was not one of those.
..//... Asking question about this topic was a good thing, I know many where bent about my post but whats the point of this being so hidden, if people like me don't really know so many are doing it. I have not ran into any solo divers at my dive sites yet.
I'm a local diver, New Jersey mostly. Every once in a great while I see an "Honest to God" functional buddy pair. Mostly I see solo divers and same ocean buddies. No prob with either...
..//... you guys get mad because someone asks, is solo diving OK to do and Why?
Nope, not at all. Just be prepared to answer the tough questions. It is all about risk management. Seriously, it is that simple.
..//... Did I mention I do want to Solo dive?
You "mention" that as if you are seeking approval. :D

Sorry, just busting on you. Get used to it. Welcome...

Solo diving although prohibited and discouraged in OW(SSI) training is , with out a doubt alive and very popular among experienced divers. I never realized this, until now.Good eye opener.
It used to be that the first rule of solo diving was that you did not discuss solo diving... especially with straights. Not all agencies have made allowances for solo diving and still think of it as very dangerous. As for it ever being 'prohibited', I don't think I have ever met the Scuba Police. Strongly discouraged? Sure, and kudos to your instructor's persuasive acumen that made you believe that it was prohibited. But there's no provision to punish solo divers.

:sinq:

Shortly after the subject came up on sb , while I was working as a DM with a local shop, I nearly gave the owner a heart attack. Not literally. But I showed up at the dive site one day with my new vanity license plate. He spent quite a bit of time telling students that my plate that said, and still says, SOLO DVR, only meant that I did not have a regular dive buddy. Of course when they asked me I told them he was wrong. It meant that l liked to dive alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom