Timex Helix DM Instruction Manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw a pretty good deal on ebay for one of those watches, are they a good alternative to computers(untill I have the funds) do ya'll like them for bottom timing and such?

Kwbyron:
I saw a pretty good deal on ebay for one of those watches, are they a good alternative to computers(untill I have the funds) do ya'll like them for bottom timing and such?

That's exactly what I use mine for....back up bottom timer, and thermometer, and depth guage......LOL

Really though, I do use it on every dive as my bottom timer.

Kwbyron:
I saw a pretty good deal on ebay for one of those watches,

I don't know how much they're selling for now, but at one time you could buy them at Walmart for $20. I'd think anything in the $20-$45 range would be a decent price, but I wouldn't give more than that.

Kwbyron:
are they a good alternative to computers(untill I have the funds)?

They're not really a computer, as they don't track any sort of NDL's, ascent rates, nitrogen loading, surface intervals, max depth, or any other pertinent info that a computer keeps track of. You'll still need to be aware of max depth, and still have to use tables.

Kwbyron:
do ya'll like them for bottom timing and such?

I carry one, and use it exclusively as a backup bottom timer. They do a pretty decent job of telling you current time, depth, and temp. If my computer craps out, at least I have a timer on me and by being aware of my max depth, I can always revert to using tables.

The original psot was/is very strange. I scored three of the watches at Wal Mart a few months ago, and all were opened, and all had the instruction book missing.

The protective clear tape is still on the front of them, and they are all new in their opened plastic cases, but what's happening to the instructions for our watches?

... I might as well ask someone for the instrcutions, too. Fire, sent ya a PM.

Firecracker:
That's exactly what I use mine for....back up bottom timer, and thermometer, and depth guage......LOL

Really though, I do use it on every dive as my bottom timer.

same thing i'll use mine for, as backup to my suunto.

Does it really say not to eat the watch? or was that a photo-shop joke?

Kwbyron:
Does it really say not to eat the watch? or was that a photo-shop joke?

It really says it......I have both the book and the PDF, and it's in both....LOL.

Kwbyron:

In my opinion and experience (of about 80 dives on it), yes, except that the depth gauge only works down to 40m (~130 feet), and the watch is only rated down to 50m. I've had mine slightly below that depth with no problems, but it's just a matter of time before I need to upgrade to something that's rated to work deeper.

Also, I would recommend you keep the plastic cover on the screen (or put a new one on if it's missing - just some clear plastic tape/covering) to protect it from scratches. You also have to remember to set the watch to dive track mode before your dives and you should not press the buttons underwater (according to the manual). FWIW, I replaced the wrist strap with some bungee. I really like the fact that the watch also shows you the seconds which a lot of computers do not do.

As always, do a search for threads about this item on SB to get other opinions and experiences before deciding.

Back
Top Bottom