Timex Helix review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ciret:
Has anyone seen the Helix DM available anywhere? I looked at several Wal-Marts a few months ago, but no luck. I also found an online timex store that had them for about $90. I'd like to do better thatn that :)

Thanks,
Two weeks ago, Walmart in Biddeford, Maine had about four of them left for 20.00.
Their phone # is 207-286-9551. Good Luck. BTW. If you noticed on my previous post, if you ask for the jewelry department you will most likely not have any luck since they weren't in the jewelry section, rather they were near the register on a display rack with other discontinued or "specially" priced watches. bob

Quickly checking the specs on a Helix shows the units are "resistant" to 50 meters. That's not very deep and I've been told by more than one vendor that to be useful for immersion at depth a watch should be resistant to at least 100 meters and 200 is better. Why do I care: because I killed two "dive watches" that were resistant to 50 meters. I killed them in less than 100 feet of 35 degree water.

Green_Manelishi:
Quickly checking the specs on a Helix shows the units are "resistant" to 50 meters. That's not very deep and I've been told by more than one vendor that to be useful for immersion at depth a watch should be resistant to at least 100 meters and 200 is better. Why do I care: because I killed two "dive watches" that were resistant to 50 meters. I killed them in less than 100 feet of 35 degree water.

I understand your point though. 50m (150ft) is enough depth for the rec. divers.
35 degree water is also extreme example. I am not sure how many rec divers get into deeper than 100ft and lower than 40 degree. We aren't talking about a tech equipment here. Even, we don't have any 150ft dive site in our local quarray.:wink:

Green_Manelishi:
My Helix did 146' with me on a freedive and it imploded on my wrist....nahhh just kidding, still ticking...uhhh working.:D

hoosier:
I understand your point though. 50m (150ft) is enough depth for the rec. divers.
35 degree water is also extreme example. I am not sure how many rec divers get into deeper than 100ft and lower than 40 degree. We aren't talking about a tech equipment here. Even, we don't have any 150ft dive site in our local quarray.:wink:

Just passing on what I was told by the rep of a "dive watch" manufacturer:

to 15 meters OK for showering
to 50 meters OK for swimming and shallow free dives
to 100 meters OK for SCUBA diving
to 200 meters (or more) better for SCUBA

Personally, I prefer 200 meters or a dedicated timer/depth gauge such as an Uwatec.

I took mine to 132' yesterday. It didn't show the depth, but instead, it displayed "LO" but it recorded the time of the dive, the surface time, and the next dive info was complete. Does anybody know what 'LO' means? A friend told me it could mean "limit over"

I know this is a pretty old thread but these watches still seem to be around on the internet (I think). I'd like to buy one but want to make sure which model you guys are talking about. Would someone that owns one drop me a line?

Thanks!!!

OL'B4BC:
I know this is a pretty old thread but these watches still seem to be around on the internet (I think). I'd like to buy one but want to make sure which model you guys are talking about. Would someone that owns one drop me a line?

Thanks!!!
It is the Timex Helix D_M (dive meter). Oh and when you get one....please refrain from eating it (when you get one you'll understand).:D

yomar:
I took mine to 132' yesterday. It didn't show the depth, but instead, it displayed "LO" but it recorded the time of the dive, the surface time, and the next dive info was complete. Does anybody know what 'LO' means? A friend told me it could mean "limit over"

If it doesn't go back to the normal, open the back cover and dry inside of watch...

I went for a 90' dive off Oahu with my Timex Helix (bought new). This was the FIRST time I used it for diving and never used it ever in the water before.

After the first tank, it was half full of water and the profile said ERR.

After the second dive, it was 3/4 full of water and the LCD had smudged a black goop inside and nothing was displaying or working any more.

After paying $15 on the bargain shelf of Walmart, I thought I was getting a deal. I threw $15 down the ocean.

Helix sucks. At least mine did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom