Tioman vs Redang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems only the titan trigger in malaysia are aggressive. I was told that the titan will only be aggressive when they are protecting their nest. Doest that means they are always nesting ??? :wink:

When I was in Maldives, we saw so many titan triggers and the DM don't even give us any warning whether during the pre-dive briefing or when we were diving. The trigger seems happy to go on with their business, though we try not to get too close and definitely not setting out on a different direction immediately...

Anyway, you can go to Malaysia Scuba Forum for info on Redang, tioman or any dive locations in Malaysia. here is the link

http://scubamy.conforums3.com/

Cheers

jiveturkey:
I dont' get it. The triggers on the west coast are tame. I've gotten very close without any aggressive behaviour. In fact, most west coast dms don't even bother to warn divers about triggerfish. On the east coast of malaysia/thailand, the triggers are downright mean. The always seem to be looking for a fight.

I don't know about that. I heard enough stories of people getting attacked by triggerfish around the Similans on the westcoast as well,just not as much as around Koh Tao area. May be less divers per number of triggers on the westcoast?

I've been to Tioman, Redang, and Tenggol all within the past month. You ask specifically about Tioman and Redang in regard to staying at the Berjaya resorts. If I were forced to choose between those options, I'd take Redang. The drive from KL to Mersing (for Tioman) takes about 5-6 hours, and to Merang (for Redang) about 6 hours also. One reason I prefer Redang is that I detest catching the general transfer boat from Mersing and find the transfer from Merang (arranged by the individual resorts) to be much more efficient and pleasant.

Tioman has some nice sites, especially the further ones like Chebbeh and Labas out Coral Island way. However, the viz is unpredictable (terrible when I was there the first week of June), which, if it happens to you, can make you think the whole place sucks all of the time. Redang was really nice the third week of June, with good viz, water almost *too* hot at 30 C, and nice stuff to see. However, neither Tioman nor Redang seem really outstanding to me, especially as compared to Tenggol.

I spent 5 days diving Tenggol the last week of June and first couple days of July. I just don't get tired of it, no matter how many times I go. The biggest problem with diving Tenggol is the lack of choice in operators. And sadly, the enforcement of marine park status appears to be even weaker at Tenggol than at other islands that enjoy the same status. (For example, we went looking for a guitar shark that had been sighted at Amazing Grace, but we didn't find it. The next day we saw it in Dungun.... on its way to market, coming off a fishing boat.)

You might ask ten people and get ten different answers. But that's my couple of cent's worth.

Lucifer_Light:
No one ever compared Tioman with Redang. Why? So now this.

People have more tendency to compare Redang vs Perhentian because both islands are quite close to each other. Tioman is located very south of the peninsula and usually compared against Aur, Dayang, Pemanggil, etc.

Of the Berjaya resorts mentioned, my thumbs up goes to Berjaya Redang Beach Resort , the beach is amazing and the water is crystal clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom