Tipping an Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HKGuns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know there are a lot of instructors on this site, hoping you will weigh in on my question.

I'm wondering if I made a mistake by not tipping my OW instructor? Is this considered customary? In reading the other threads about tipping it made me realize I may have unknowingly made a mistake.

If I did make a mistake, how much do I tip for an open water course?

I know there are a lot of instructors on this site, hoping you will weigh in on my question.

I'm wondering if I made a mistake by not tipping my OW instructor? Is this considered customary? In reading the other threads about tipping it made me realize I may have unknowingly made a mistake.
I tipped my instructors as I would have a DM - they were humble and would not have asked, but definitely deserved it in my mind .

I tipped my instructors as I would have a DM - they were humble and would not have asked, but definitely deserved it in my mind .

Oh crap, I was afraid that would be the answer. Now I feel like a cheap tool. Can I ask how much you tipped?

Depends on situation. First, look at their cars.If they have a new F-350 Diesel, you probably need the money more than they do. If they are driving a 15 year old Kia, with one window that is made of visqueen, then give them something,even a gift card to Olive Garden.

as an independent instructor i set my prices to be as low as will still be worth it for me to teach, but assume i will not make tips. this way nobody needs to feel obligated to tip, BUT... id never argue with such a nice jesture

If you look at the "Cars" of the full time instructors at my shop they are mostly of the "Bus Pass" or "Bicycle" variety and they would definitely appreciate a tip.

The part time instructors vary with some similar to the full time instructors but some are doing it as a hobby and have a day job. Their car falls into the nice, late model SUV with leather seats variety. While they would also appreciate a tip it will make less difference to their income.

Where did you take your class? Resort location or through your local dive shop? I’ve seen my OW instructors, who are local and do it parttime (good fulltime jobs), turn down tips.

I gave my instructor a six-pack of local craft beer after a recent course. He set his fee for the course, and I paid that amount. The beer was a token to show my appreciation.

The instructors should set their prices without expecting tips. As a diver, you shouldn't feel like you need to tip them for just doing their job. Bringing breakfast to the dive site or buying a beer afterwards doesn't count IMO, that's just common courtesy for some people but again, not mandatory.
With our students, we "charge" them with breakfast, lunch, etc. if they forgot something and had to use something of ours. It's a learning experience for them that yes, we will bail them out, but it's going to cost them. That's with college students and not something I would ever do in a normal teaching situation. That said, if they bail you out of something whether it's fixing gear, bringing a spare of something you forgot, or just going above and beyond trying to help you because you struggled then I think it's something that you should consider tipping them for. How much will depend on how much they did

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom