Tipping dive master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becca65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
ok so what do most people tip dive masters after a dive? And do you also tip the boat captain and the deck hand?

We have been down this road before. I personally tip $10 per tank to be split.

Use the search bar... lot's of variables... but about $10 is fair, and common IMHO...

Me: $10 per tank. For the DM only. I give it to the DM before we leave to dock. Too many threads on tipping. Hate to say it--"Do a Search".

We have been down this road before. I personally tip $10 per tank to be split.

Use the search bar... lot's of variables... but about $10 is fair, and common IMHO...

Me: $10 per tank. For the DM only. I give it to the DM before we leave to dock. Too many threads on tipping. Hate to say it--"Do a Search".

Poor form. If you are going to tell someone to use the search function, you can't simultaneously answer the question. :bash:

Another option is to do the search for them and simply post: "Look at these other threads here, here and here.

Seriously, man. Get it together!

Poor form. ...you can't simultaneously answer the question.!

Wouldn’t that be a word something like sequentially?

Poor form. If you are going to tell someone to use the search function, you can't simultaneously answer the question. :bash:

Another option is to do the search for them and simply post: "Look at these other threads here, here and here.

Why can’t you do this ?

They just meant to say it as a side comment :)

You could as well be sarcastic and share this link but some people are just genuinely nice:
http://bfy.tw/NiOs

There is no blanket answer here. I tip based on a combination of local customs/location and suggested amounts/overall service. I do not always or even necessarily tip the typical American response of 20% - and yes, I’m American. There are many factors here. I also do not tip 20% on liveaboards - and before anyone criticizes this, I’ve been on 9 - and the suggested amounts have ranged from 5-10%.

This is a very personal question that sparks a lot or disagreement, polarizing views, and justification. Don’t ever be shy to ask what the average or suggested for an area or operation is. You’d be surprised how happy people are that you asked. I always do because I don’t want to be insulting and I want to ensure I am conscious about who gets what.

Some boats have everyone sharing everything. Some have DMs separate from boat crew. Some are both. Ask, especially if it affects who/what/how much you will give.

With that said, I always feel one should budget tips into the travel or dive budget. If you can afford to travel or dive on a boat trip/day boat, you should be able to afford travel insurance and/or tip. People work hard to make your day or vacation a great experience. I’m not condoning tipping because they don’t make much or that we should make up for their low pay. Tip to show appreciation for their great efforts and work if you enjoyed it and had a good time, etc.

You’ll find the answer is highly dependent on region. Some countries that some divers hail from don’t have a tipping culture and it is what it is.

There is no blanket answer here. I tip based on a combination of local customs/location and suggested amounts/overall service. I do not always or even necessarily tip the typical American response of 20% - and yes, I’m American. There are many factors here. I also do not tip 20% on liveaboards - and before anyone criticizes this, I’ve been on 9 - and the suggested amounts have ranged from 5-10%.

This is a very personal question that sparks a lot or disagreement, polarizing views, and justification. Don’t ever be shy to ask what the average or suggested for an area or operation is. You’d be surprised how happy people are that you asked. I always do because I don’t want to be insulting and I want to ensure I am conscious about who gets what.

Some boats have everyone sharing everything. Some have DMs separate from boat crew. Some are both. Ask, especially if it affects who/what/how much you will give.

With that said, I always feel one should budget tips into the travel or dive budget. If you can afford to travel or dive on a boat trip/day boat, you should be able to afford travel insurance and/or tip. People work hard to make your day or vacation a great experience. I’m not condoning tipping because they don’t make much or that we should make up for their low pay. Tip to show appreciation for their great efforts and work if you enjoyed it and had a good time, etc.

You’ll find the answer is highly dependent on region. Some countries that some divers hail from don’t have a tipping culture and it is what it is.

^^^THIS! ^^^

You can read all the threads and all of the posts in all of the threads and THIS will still be the best and true answer.

Believe it or not, there are even some places that don't have tipping at all. Then it's nice to have a gift/token of some sort.

Picky. Maybe the OP wants to search for more than my short answer--ei. to get the plethora of stuff about tipping throughout every country, the rants about how tipping in the US differs so much, and comparisons to waitresses, why doctors don't get tips, and all the other occupations....

Back
Top Bottom