Tipping guidelines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I know there will not be a complete consensus on this (tipping is always viewed differently by different people). Still, it's been a while since I saw a discussion of the local expectations/typical practices for Cozumel dive ops, and since I'm headed back soon, I figured I would start the discussion and get input.

Tip each day, or once at the end of your week-long trip?
Tip each person on the boat individually, or hand it all to the captain and let him sort it out among crew?
How much per day?
What parameters do you use to adjust the tip amount? (on a large boat with a crew of 5 it's probably not going to be the same as a small boat with just 2-3 crew)
Dollars or Pesos? (I know, wet bills - no problemo!)
Other variables?

OK, let it fly...

Yeah, I know there will not be a complete consensus on this (tipping is always viewed differently by different people). Still, it's been a while since I saw a discussion of the local expectations/typical practices for Cozumel dive ops, and since I'm headed back soon, I figured I would start the discussion and get input.

Tip each day, or once at the end of your week-long trip?
Tip each person on the boat individually, or hand it all to the captain and let him sort it out among crew?
How much per day?
What parameters do you use to adjust the tip amount? (on a large boat with a crew of 5 it's probably not going to be the same as a small boat with just 2-3 crew)
Dollars or Pesos? (I know, wet bills - no problemo!)
Other variables?

OK, let it fly...

Each day. May not be the same personnel the next day for whatever reason, including dental appointments.

Either the dm or captain.

We do 200 - 250 pesos per diver (for a 2 tank trip). Sometimes bump it up due to orientation of Venus and Pluto.

Never been on a large boat.

We use USD to pay for the dives. Otherwise, we are in Mexico, where the legal tender is the Mexican Peso.

I usually tip per day if I know I won't be with the same group/guide/boat the next day. The way you tip might be affected by how things are set up. I've been on boats where DM shares all tips equally with everyone on boat, including captain and deck hands. I've been on boats where it's separate.

When I was in Coz, I tipped $5 per tank. I was doing 4 tanks per day with the same DM and boat for the whole week.

I tip daily, never know if you will have the same captain/ DM combo each day. The shops I have used split the tips, not sure if they all do. There are many things that influence the amount I tip; service provided, length of dive, night dives, helping me with equipment, etc. The actual amount is personal, the times I have noticed what others tip on a 2 tank dive range from $10-20. I doubt it matters to them if you tip in Pesos or Dollars.

I tip daily, to the DM. He splits with captain and tank/gear/driver guys.

Our personal minimum is $5USD/tank, usually it’s more, especially if we thought the crew took good care of us.

Pretty standard for me to tip 20% of the trip cost, rounded. Poor service or above and beyond service will drop or raise it, but that is pretty unusual. There is often a tip jar and it all goes into the jar. Pesos or dollars matters not.

Please do some research if you’re staying at an “all inclusive” dive resort. Gratuity may or may not be included.

Also, paying in dollars is a bad idea. They will never give you a good exchange rate.

I try to dive with the same op at least 5 days at the end of which or the dive trip I get an envelop for every captain, DM, Shop tender, driver, whatever and generally tip $5 to $15 each per day in Pesos. I either hand it to each of them or with the Shop manager with their name on the sealed envelop. They always seem happy to see me come back and I get pretty good service. I tip the guy who washes my gear, the guy who makes sure I get on a boat, etc. If a DM or Captain takes very good care of me, I add some to the total. I may be wrong, but the important thing is that you should tip. I have seen divers who go diving, get off the boat, and are never seen again. I may be wrong, but they don't appear to tip. While a great many of us are capable of getting to the water, in the water, out of the water, and back home without any help, I appreciate a captain who puts the boat where I can get on, lifts my gear out of the water (I'm old with a bad back) and a DM/Dive Guide who always comes back with the same number he starts with. It's those little things....

Cheers -

Also, paying in dollars is a bad idea. They will never give you a good exchange rate.

I guess if its a tip, I can set the exchange rate?

I guess if its a tip, I can set the exchange rate?

Here's a dollar. Now, that might not sound like much....but I'm setting the exchange rate at 1,000,000 Pesos per dollar. That's a HUGE tip right there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom