Tipping on dive boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocGP

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
OK, first dive boat trip. Have done several shore dives, and some fresh water. Going on a couple two tank morning dives in Kauai. What is customary and what is a good tip? I know the sky is the limit, and I don't want to be a cheapskate. Assuming good service, what do you tip?

Thanks
Doc

Yes, at least in North America. Tons of threads on this.
Funny, I think it was $10/tank 11 years ago when I joined ScubaBoard. Guess there is no inflation considered as far as DM tips go.....Then again, most of them work for tips only...go figure that.

After a recent trip to Key Largo I believe $10/ tank is on the high side, $5/tank is 'average', I saw several people happily step off the boat with just a, "Thank You" offered to the crew...

IMHO, I could afford $10/tank and gave that or more the entire trip... the few times I gave more included buying my guide lunch at Subway...

Caribbean vacation diving here:

I usually put a $20 ($10 per tank) in the boat's "Tip Jar", and if the DM or Guide with me isn't just "phoning it in", is really engaged and goes out of his/her way to locate cool stuff for us to see then I'll palm him/her an extra $10-20 when I shake his/her hand at the end of the day.

Pat

My wife and I have hundreds of dives on Oahu and Big Island (not Kauai) as customers, and our standard is $10/tank. It can go up or down from there (mostly up). It's your chance to reward good service, especially if you want to come back and dive with them again.

Some may comment that tipping varies in other countries. Early in my dive life I spent a week in Panama. 4 of the 5 two tank dive days were just me and the DM. I believe he was a paid DM (that's not the NORM...…!!??-- I jest). Not knowing the $10/tank idea, I gave him $40 for the whole 5 days and he was very pleased and thankful. He took me to where the shells were, and gave me some pointers (he did jump in wearing an empty tank once, though, and thanked ME for my Air saving his life...).

The one topic where there is no definite answer! Reading through most of the threads that have been on SB the last several years, for a dollar amount, the most common response is $5-10 per tank.

I don't want to be a cheapskate

That title will go to the diver(s) on the boat who don't tip at all - odds are there will be some.

I've read where, because the cost of living is high in Hawaii, one should be a little more generous in tipping. But in my mind, because the cost of living is high in Hawaii, I want to spend my money on what I want to spend it on (Grinch), thus I'd just give my normal $5 per tank (although occasionally my heart grows 3 sizes and I throw an extra $5 - $10 someone's way.).

We dive in Hawaii a fair amount and usually tip 10 - 15% of the trip cost. Again could be more if steller service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom