Tipping outside the Americas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kneptoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to Fakarava and Rangiroa in a few weeks and wondered what the protocol for tipping dive operators will be. I have heard it is unwelcome in dive destinations that cater predominately to European and Aus/NZ travelers. What's expected? Thanks

It's not the done thing with the French ops, I'd be surprised if you tipped anyone anything in Rangi or Fakarava or anywhere in FP without it being somewhat insulting.

Tipping is never unwelcome, nor insulting ( the exception being tipping ridiculously low amounts like a quarter of a dollar in Indonesia).
The fact that tipping is not compulsory, nor expected in places like Europe or Japan does not make it pointless.
Most people in diving earn very little. This is true in any location including very expensive ones like French Polynesia. In such conditions, any help is welcomed...

That must be why the lady at the general store sent her kid to find me when I left a 500cpf coin on the counter! - its not an expected thing, theres a tips jar on the counter at lili cafe but as far as it being factored in as a standard price US style, no, as far as it being a custom to put in for the boat crew SE Asia style, not in my experience.

If you'd been to Rangiroa it would make perfect sense :wink:

Oh, my apologies, I was trying to answer the OPs question about the polynesian culture. I thought that was more important than grammar late on a sunday night.

Aeto Pea Pea.

They are french polynesians. Which makes absolutely no difference to the OPs question. If it fascinates you so much perhaps you should go and experience it for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom