$tipping question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CARZYDIVER

Reaction score
im going to be done with my pool and class sessions this wed, and i am not sure on how much i should tip my instructor and his asst. i dont want to short change them but i dont want to over tip aswell, if my pockets could handle it i wouldnt mind, but they cant, so whats a descent tip for these guys? they are both great teachers.

CARZYDIVER:
im going to be done with my pool and class sessions this wed, and i am not sure on how much i should tip my instructor and his asst. i dont want to short change them but i dont want to over tip aswell, if my pockets could handle it i wouldnt mind, but they cant, so whats a descent tip for these guys? they are both great teachers.

I bought mine lunch...I already had paid for the class, and they didn't really do much more than what was required, but lunch was fun.

Since you paid what they asked for the class, shortchanging them is not an issue, IMHO.

No, I didn't tip my instructor. I do tip crew on dive boats, but I don't think this is done much.

We have stayed in touch, though, as done favors both ways...

Same here, no tip for the instructor. Of course I am tipping him because he is the owner of the LDS that I took my classes from... I buy gear, he makes money.

I brought lunch gift certificates at a restaurant close by our training facility for my instructor and our D.M.

$10 each. Just to say thanks.

As an instructor I've received tips, trips and thanks. All was greatly appreciated. There is an old saying " you stop teaching scuba when you can no longer afford it" My students and I usually go out to lunch/dinner after their checkout dives as a celebration. The students pick up the tab, it's alot of fun, we hand out the cards and certificates and everybody gets to talk about our favorite subject-diving

This is new to me. I've never heard of anyone tipping the instructor for lessons. The dive boat is a different story. I always tip the boat crew.

Tipped my instructor $25 or $30 for me and my girlfriend, it was a private class.

I don't think these guys make a whole lot of money... I'm no millionaire but I figured I could afford a few $ to show my appreciation for a job well done.

When I taught through a shop they paid $50/student- Insurance 5-700/year, membership another 200. Hours per class, anywhere from 6-8 hours of classroom or more, poolwork another 8 hours on the short side, Open water training easy 4 hours each day (these are minimums, bare). So you got about 24 hours and that's not covering drive time, personal expenses, equipment, training tools and materials. Take a class of 8 students=$400 and then start subtracting expenses and divide by time, most instructors aren't making minimum wage--If you liked your instructor, buy 'em lunch, give a card, cash is nice, but I'll bet they'll be just as happy with a 'round of applause-'cause it's NOT about the Bejamins.

I didn't tip my instructor during the class, but he did give my husband some helpful hints on my OW certification dive, like a mini refresher course. We gave him a $20 tip and the boat another $20.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom