Tipping Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cathycalg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, this fall, my husband and I will be diving at the Cobalt Coast dive resort on Grand Cayman and experiencing their “valet” diving services. How much do we tip the dive crew, assuming we are happy with the service, as I think we will be. We’ll be there for two weeks (we’re splurging!) ... when do we tip...daily, weekly, or at the end of it all? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Use the search feature... there are hundreds of posts on the topic...

In my opinion, I tip weekly when I'm VERY sure I'll be with the same crew all week. If the crew rotates, then I'll tip daily.

I tip $5-$10+ per tank... depending on a lot of different factors. I've also left a single $100 tip when my wife and I had a private DM, who was wonderful, for a two tank dive (4 tanks total, between both of us, so $25/tank)...

We're not rich people, but in my opinion, if you can afford a trip to a tropical location, and indulge in an expensive hobby once there, then you should follow local customs, and budget for tipping, when appropriate...

Use the search feature... there are hundreds of posts on the topic...

In my opinion, I tip weekly when I'm VERY sure I'll be with the same crew all week. If the crew rotates, then I'll tip daily.

I tip $5-$10+ per tank... depending on a lot of different factors. I've also left a single $100 tip when my wife and I had a private DM, who was wonderful, for a two tank dive (4 tanks total, between both of us, so $25/tank)...

We're not rich people, but in my opinion, if you can afford a trip to a tropical location, and indulge in an expensive hobby once there, then you should follow local customs, and budget for tipping, when appropriate...
Thanks for your response. I concur about tipping ...I just wanted to be sure I have enough USD with me...

It sounds like a lovely trip, please write a report when you return.

Will you renting a car for for part of the time to explore the island?

When we are in Cayman we usually tip extra because $1.00 US is only $0.83 Cayman.

It sounds like a lovely trip, please write a report when you return.

Will you renting a car for for part of the time to explore the island?

When we are in Cayman we usually tip extra because $1.00 US is only $0.83 Cayman.
Our Canadian dollar gets us about 75 cents American. IT’s always painful to buy USD. But we don’t go diving to save money that’s for sure...and tipping is part of the deal.
We will likely rent a car for a day or two...any recommendations?

Our Canadian dollar gets us about 75 cents American. IT’s always painful to buy USD. But we don’t go diving to save money that’s for sure...and tipping is part of the deal.
We will likely rent a car for a day or two...any recommendations?

I think that the Canadian dollar is only worth $0.62 in Cayman, sorry. BTW, make sure that your credit card doesn't add-on any foreign transaction fees.

Cobalt Coast in on the West side of the island, but it is north of Seven Mile Beach in West Bay. It's not too far from the more popular locations but the resort is still rather remote. I know that the airport transfers are included in the price of your package and that's nice, but if you decide to venture out then taxis will get expensive quickly.

There is a clean, safe, reliable, and inexpensive public bus system on GC, but I usually see the buses around George Town and 7MB. I don't know how frequently they run to the north section of West Bay, especially at night. You might look into options for taking buses during the day but then plan to take a taxi back at night.

Rental cars are one of the few bargains on GC and our credit card includes auto insurance (except liability) so we don't have to add on many extra charges for expenses. When we are on Brac of Little Cayman we only rent a car for a day or two, but those islands are small and quiet and we are only there for a week.

Traffic can be bad around George Town and 7MB, especially during rush hours and in George Town when the cruise ships are in port. And you will have to get used to driving on the left and negotiating the roundabouts - but you will figure it out quickly. But if you are plan any outings you should try to avoid the busiest traffic times - you will probably be diving in the mornings and if you go exploring it will be in the afternoon and evening.

Are you doing 2 boat dives per day or three? There is also unlimited shore diving on the house reef as long as you don't get winded out.

There is a charge for a temporary Cayman drivers permit (bring your license with you) but it isn't bad, around $25 CI. We always pick up and drop off our rental car at the airport but I'm sure that the hotel could arrange a car for you. Download interactive google maps on your phone before you leave home so that you can avoid roaming and internet charges.

You're probably taking the meal plan at CCGCR, correct? But there are some nice places to stop and have a drink or a bite if you are out and about - not cheap but there is a wide range of options.

I've never stayed at Cobalt Coast but we have visited the resort and dived with their Reef Divers op, and it's looks nice and the diving was good. We have stayed at the other Clearly Cayman resorts on Brac and Little Cayman and really liked them a lot; we will be back at the LCBR later this year. I think that they all operate similarly.

If you enjoy a nice cocktail or glass of wine on vacation then I should warn you that the a la carte drinks at the CC resorts are expensive. They offer a drinks package that includes 3 well drinks per day, but there is an up-charge for anything not on the list. Everything you buy at the bar has a 15% tip automatically added, even a can of soda.

We usually skip the drink package and always buy liquor at the duty-free shop at the airport before we leave the US. Each adult can bring in 1 liter of liquor (or 4 bottles or wine, or a case of beer) duty free. At the CBBR and the LCBR they have an ice machine near the bar for guest use and you can also ask for a small refrigerator in your room. I don't know if it is the same at CCGCR but they probably have a system for providing ice for guests.

There's a lot of options for things to do on GC, what type of things do you like to do on vacation? Besides relax and dive, of course!

Give us some ideas of the things you enjoy and I am sure that the folks here on SB will be able to offer some good suggestions!

Thanks, KathyV, for your response and helpful tips. We have signed on for the full all-meals-included and 3 boat dives a day package. I have a feeling we won’t have any extra energy to explore the island after a day of diving. We will have a non-diving day to explore a bit. I’ll explore the duty-free liquor idea, though! This will be our first time in the Caymans. We’ve been to Roatan, Belize and Bonaire for diving trips and some some boat and shore diving on Maui.
Can you tell me if it’s better to stick with bottled water on Grand Cayman...or if the tap water is okay?? Thanks again for all the useful information.

I was at Cobalt Coast in January. You will probably get the same crew each day except on there day off, when there is a fill in. For 2 tank dives each DM does one dive. I never thought I’d be much for valet diving, but it can spoil you. The crew has a mailbox type of thing in the dive shop where everyone has a slot for putting in tips at the end of the week, made it easy. They were tearing down the old lockers the day we left and putting up a drying shed for gear, which, if done, you will have access to for shore and night dives.
As for cash, US is taken everywhere, but I hit an ATM and took out cash for tips and such.

Have fun!

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom