Tipping Technicians

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any type of etiquette for tipping technicians who work on your dive gear? Is it expected? Do you do it, and if so, when?

They're getting paid a wage/salary to do the job already and the job usually costs you money already. But sometimes technicians do a bunch of stuff for free or go above and beyond.

I have never heard of it. I know our technician but rarely see him-just pick up stuff & pay for it. I've seen quite a few customers pick up repaired gear and no mentions of a tip. Can any repair technicians enlighten us on how they are paid--shop employees, on commision? Is it better pay than instructors? Than DMs?

Last edited:
Is there any type of etiquette for tipping technicians who work on your dive gear? Is it expected? Do you do it, and if so, when?

They're getting paid a wage/salary to do the job already and the job usually costs you money already. But sometimes technicians do a bunch of stuff for free or go above and beyond.

My approach to this, for anything more than trivial, is to bring in a box of donuts or bakery sweets for the tech staff when I pick up my gear. With a suggestion to share them around with the sales staff, etc., and I do bring enough for that. It finesses the tip etiquette question while still leaving smiles on faces, and with nobody feeling like the wrong guy got tipped etc. I'm sure they might prefer cash, but as your question implies, that can be awkward. And they remember my name. Just my 2 cents.

i sleep with mine, but that's just me...

DM's/instructors get tipped in lieu of getting a reasonable wage. Instructors generally get paid depending on the job. For example instructors are paid $30 per student for the classroom portion and the same for the checkout portion. DM's get zip at least in Denver. They are usually in training so they are paying!

Technicians get paid a wage but I have no clue if its reasonable. IMO the whole tip thing is kinda wacked and I would like to see everyone getting paid rather than relying on customers generosity as many suck when it comes to tipping. I tip wait staff and DM's on a boat, that's enuff. I honestly do not know how the tipping thing got started with restaurant staff or DM's but let's not start it for other jobs.

Mandatory tips are kind of whack (just pay them a better base wage, especially in restaurants), but sometimes if someone goes above and beyond, I feel some sort of motivation to give back to them.

At my LDS, I have a pretty good and friendly relationship with the technician. I see him there all the time, and he helps me whenever I need it. I always got the impression from this forum to generously tip DMs/Instructors/dive trip operators and support your LDS, so I guess I just generalized this support to the technicians as well.

I guess donuts or something non-monetary is a reasonable compromise.

well, yes, fish, i *do* hope! :wink:

well, yes, randy... :D hey, wait, was that an insult?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom