Tips for a new YS-D2 user

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pillpusher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I finally upgraded my gear, and will be trying out my G7x ii (Fantasea housing) with two YS-D2's, which are also new to me, next week in Bonaire. I've read the "recommended settings" article, and it closely mimicked the settings I would use with my old camera, so hopefully the learning curve with this new setup won't be too big.

Any tips from any G7x ii / YS-D2 users would be greatly appreciated. This will also be my first time trying out TTL, so I'd be curious to hear how well that works with this setup, or if manual strength adjustments is the better way to go.

Thanks in advance!

I just returned from Iceland where I used my YS-D2s (and Sony A6500) for the first time. Overall I was pleased with the function of the YS-D2s in TTL mode (which I used the entire time). However, there were some shots that were completely blown out from (I think) the strobes overpowering the image, even in TTL mode. This didn't make sense to me until I emailed the shop I bought my equipment from and one of the expert photographers there explained it to me. Here is what he said regarding TTL:

"Since it’s an averaging system, TTL is at its best when the entire picture area reflects light back to the sensor. That’s why it tends to work well with most macro shots. However, for wide angle, or even some macro & fish portraits, where a significant part of the picture area is comprised of open water, TTL tends to get fooled, and will typically overexpose the subject. So for these situations, either use manual strobe exposure, or apply significant negative exposure compensation."

In hindsight, it was the wide-angle shots (in crystal clear water) where the TTL didn't "read" the exposure correctly and adjust as much as needed. So it sounds like depending on the shot/situation, you may have to switch to manual and adjust the strobe exposure as needed.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, I've found the same to be the case so far this week. Overall, I'm very happy with the TTL though. Makes things a lot easier, and manual is just a couple quick clicks away.

I use my YS-D2's exclusively in manual mode.I advise not to fire repeatedly at full power - the strobe is prone to burn out of the flash tubes - plenty reports here and in other forums...
Otherwise they perform well.

Wolfgang

Back
Top Bottom