Tips for all going to Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So we are looking at October 1-7 time frame. We've checked tickets as far as Cairo, but from there whats the best way to diving locations, and for first timers to the Red Sea, what would you recommend.

find a ticket to Hurghada or Sharm el Cheik or Marsa Alam, only stop 1 or 2 days in Cairo if you want to see pyramids or visit the city's highlights

I should not advise you to go to the Sinaï zone (except Sharm, no problem)

if it's your 1st time, consider booking already now (october is the high season for liveaboard) a week (hotel + daily dives) or a liveabord, following your preference ; someone of the divecenter will wait for you at the airport and their full service will only end at the airport again, no stress

there are nice dives everywhere; of course, Hurghada and Sharm, overcrowded until 4 years ago, have some quite damaged sites, but there are still marvelous places to see

the sea will be much better in october (27°c)

I was there 2 weeks ago and next time will be september , already booked...

head to hurghada.. sharm is still quite "slow" these days.. most liveaboards Ive been in contact with still dont run from sharm they told me

Off to Shagra last two weeks of August, so if anyone is going shout and we can hook up...cant wait

Good Sharm Diver Operators - I’m looking for recommendations for good dive operators in Sharm. We did a lot of Red Sea diving about ten years ago, including liveaboards, and are now back in the region. We’re looking for a professional operation appropriate for experienced divers (200+ dives each). We’re not necessarily looking for the cheapest operator. We’re focused on Sharm, but also open to returning to Hurghada or Marsa Alam. Many thanks.

Apologies if this has been asked before, I tried a rudimentary search & couldn't find it.

I would like some advice on how much weight I should carry on dives in the Red Sea due to increased salinity. I am going on my first liveaboard in February. I normally dive off the West Coast of Ireland in a 7mm wetsuit & carry 10kg (22 lbs) of lead; I have been advised I really should carry only 8kg, but then I have difficulty staying down on safety stops, and figure a little bit extra weight makes sense for me.

So when I dive in the Red Sea, is there any rule of thumb for how much extra I should take to counteract the increased buoyancy in the water? I'd like to avoid too much trial & error at the start of the week if at all possible

Apologies if this has been asked before, I tried a rudimentary search & couldn't find it.

I would like some advice on how much weight I should carry on dives in the Red Sea due to increased salinity. I am going on my first liveaboard in February. I normally dive off the West Coast of Ireland in a 7mm wetsuit & carry 10kg (22 lbs) of lead; I have been advised I really should carry only 8kg, but then I have difficulty staying down on safety stops, and figure a little bit extra weight makes sense for me.

So when I dive in the Red Sea, is there any rule of thumb for how much extra I should take to counteract the increased buoyancy in the water? I'd like to avoid too much trial & error at the start of the week if at all possible
I doubt the increased salinity is sufficient to affect your buoyancy . I've dived in the Red Sea, Caribbean, and Pacific, the only weight adjustments I've had to make have been due to changing wetsuits and to my ever-changing waistline.

I doubt the increased salinity is sufficient to affect your buoyancy . I've dived in the Red Sea, Caribbean, and Pacific, the only weight adjustments I've had to make have been due to changing wetsuits and to my ever-changing waistline.

I felt I noticed a slight difference between some places I have dived. At first I thought I was crazy, but then I had the idea to look up ocean salinity levels around the world. There is indeed some variation, though I don't know how significant it is--I haven't done buoyancy calculations based on the published data. The northern Red Sea at about 4.0 percent is indeed more saline than, say, the Atlantic or Pacific at about 3.5 percent. I wouldn't be surprised if TommyBoy would feel more secure during the safety stop with an extra kilo of lead than he's accustomed to.

What mm wetsuit do you intend to wear whilst diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom