Tips for all going to Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if this is the right spot, but I will ask anyways.

I am getting ready (1 month time) for my first liveaboard trip and first trip to the red sea. Looking for any insight, recommendations, advice on what to bring and prepare for during my liveaboard trip on the red sea. I know it will be crazy hot, so any advice is appreciated.

Make sure your chargers are compatible with the plugs on the boat. Don't bring too many clothes. Understand your computer, as lockouts are more often caused by user error than divers actually omitting required deco.

We just got back from a weeklong liveaboard from sharm.

The prongs on the boat were two round ones. You will need the adapter to go from us 2/3 prongs to the boats two prong sockets. We used the charger below with a separate two prong adapter for our equipment. It has a one high amp usb, one low amp usb, and three three prong us sockets.

20DA29C0-420E-4151-AF29-7085A9905189.jpeg

We were not allowed inside the boat with wet clothes. We could not wear shoes on the inside either.

Option one was to change from dry clothes to a semi dry swimsuit each dive. There was a two hour surface interval between dives, so our wet clothes were not quite dry between dives. I kept my dry clothes in a dry bag during the dive.

Option two is to alternate three swim suits. So you always have one dry one, one moist one, and one wet one. That minimizes changes.

We only had two outside heads to change in, so option 2 worked better for me, since one lady always took a long time to change.

Shower off your wetsuit and swimsuit with the fresh water deck shower after each dive so your things dry faster. Stick them on the unshaded upper deck if you want them to dry really quickly.

Bring at least one pair of neoprene socks to prevent blisters.

They only have one, two, and three kg weights, so you cannot get as precise weighting as you can with one pound increment weights. So, you may have to carry more weight than normal and your trim is more difficult to determine.

The water below the surface is much colder than quoted temperatures. I needed to use a 5mm.

Buy or make sure your boat has entocid for mummy tummy (explosive diarrhea). It works better than antinal. Pick up something called hydro salts if you are susceptible to cramps. You can get that all at any Egyptian pharmacy.

Bring lots of cash including small denominations. Egyptian business don’t take many credit cards.

Not sure if this is the right spot, but I will ask anyways.

I am getting ready (1 month time) for my first liveaboard trip and first trip to the red sea. Looking for any insight, recommendations, advice on what to bring and prepare for during my liveaboard trip on the red sea. I know it will be crazy hot, so any advice is appreciated.

Divezonescuba already gave good tips.

No absolute need to bring cash, you find ATMs in any city. (but ok, have a look at the costs with your bank). All payments onboard can be made in EUR, USD and EGP. No card.

Any serious boat has a basic pharmacy onboard. It's true that tourists are often subject to "turista" (diarrea); the fishes like it, but not your wetsuit ;-).

When you come aboard, you just need 2 or 3 bathsuits (so you always have one dry) and 2 or 3 t-shirts (if needed, a little bag of washing powder is smaller and cheaper than bringing plenty of clothes). Think about a sweat or polar for the night : it's not cold but there is always wind.

I forgot to mention in my earlier posts about some other things.

A dry bag for your equipment crate is good for keeping your shirt dry while you are diving. You can also use it to store small things like secondary lights that might get lost in the crate.

if you have an analyzer that’s also a good thing to bring. Sometimes there is a log jam waiting.

I am bring a collapsible dinghy ladder next time.

I was under the impression that Salem Aleykum is a greeting that translates as "peace be with you". The response is usually "Aleykum Salam" - "peace be you" back to the initiator of the greeting.

Another thing to remember: women should not wear shorts in public. A short sleeved shirt may be acceptable, but not bare legs. Also, women should remember that in Egypt you may not have much authority: some men simply do not acknowledge you if you are female.

Learned the above from several "interesting experiences" in Hurghada.

DSDO,
No one under 70 in Egypt greets with Salema Alykoum/alykoum salema

This is a religious. formal greeting. It's not wrong to use it, and people will understand you, but... For a young foreigner to use it would be both stuffy and a little presumptuous. If you are older and speaking to someone older than you are, particularly a man with a bear, it might be the right way to go. Otherwise, use either Sabah al kheer (good morning), Messa al Kheer (good afternoon/evening). The proper response is Sabah al fool or Sabah al noor.

If you are addressing someone you know a little, use "eh-zay-ak (m) or eh-zay-ik(f)" It means how's it going, roughly. They will say kolo kwais (everything is good) al hamdulilah (thank god) in response. You then say, hamdulilah (thank god).

For good bye, ma salema is common, but equally common is bye bye.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom