Tips for solo doffing front-entry drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spoolin01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm switching from back-zip to diagonal front-zip drysuit, a Pinnacle Black Ice, with the objective of being able to don and doff the suit without any assistance. I've had it on exactly one time, for a pool test. I can see I'll need some sort of device to extend my reach for full zipper range, but the bigger problem was the difficulty in getting OUT of the suit afterwards. I had a hard time getting the first shoulder out as the first move. With a back-zip suit I pull down at the hips to get the shoulders and arms started out, then invert the sleeves as I pull my arms out. I wasn't able to get that going with the front-zip suit, and ended up reaching under the wrist seal on the low-zipper side to pull it off over my right hand, which enabled my right shoulder to get free.

I'd rather not work that seal that way routinely, can anyone give me some tips on other tactics for getting that first shoulder out of the suit?

I open the zipper, pop the crotch strap, get my head out of the suit, grab the left wrist seal and work it over my hand, then do the other hand. I have very heavy duty latex seals, when I used silicon I was much more careful of them. I use replaceable seals with a large plastic cuff for dry gloves so it isn't going to reverse. Plus trying to pull my hand out of the seals instead of the seals off my hand will pull my Viking seal locking rings and the wrist seals right out of the cuffs. Ask me how I know...

I'm switching from back-zip to diagonal front-zip drysuit, a Pinnacle Black Ice, with the objective of being able to don and doff the suit without any assistance. I've had it on exactly one time, for a pool test. I can see I'll need some sort of device to extend my reach for full zipper range, but the bigger problem was the difficulty in getting OUT of the suit afterwards. I had a hard time getting the first shoulder out as the first move. With a back-zip suit I pull down at the hips to get the shoulders and arms started out, then invert the sleeves as I pull my arms out. I wasn't able to get that going with the front-zip suit, and ended up reaching under the wrist seal on the low-zipper side to pull it off over my right hand, which enabled my right shoulder to get free.

I'd rather not work that seal that way routinely, can anyone give me some tips on other tactics for getting that first shoulder out of the suit?
assume your using lubricant- I have an otter and wrist seal slides off easy with lubricant
undo zip
head out first
slip seal off right hand next
put left hand around the back and hold the suit just below right elbow while slipping the right hand up until loose
at the same time pull the suit arm slightly backwards until it slips off the shoulder
after that lubricant on left seal and easy after that

Haven't tried the lubricant yet, is petroleum jelly suitable for latex seals? Talc? The seals seem thick and sturdy enough, I just didn't like the thought of poking a finger under them or pulling on them if it can be avoided. I was hoping for a means of freeing one shoulder with the seals still on the wrists.

Haven't tried the lubricant yet, is petroleum jelly suitable for latex seals? Talc? The seals seem thick and sturdy enough, I just didn't like the thought of poking a finger under them or pulling on them if it can be avoided. I was hoping for a means of freeing one shoulder with the seals still on the wrists.
dont know about jelly but nothing with petroleum base -get personal lubricant from the chemist or if you want some raised eyebrows and a bit of fun get a 5 litre bottle from the sex shop

talc on ( non perfumed ) lube off and when you're done talc the seals and wax the zipper - dont do zipper up if you folding it

jus noticed you already have a dry suit so some of my comments you probably already aware of. but one thing to add is that it does take a bit of practice to undo the zip overt the left shoulder so take care as thats the places they'll start to wear and tear (just over the shoulder) also if you take off the top half at surface interval to cool down avoid the weight pulling at the gusset where the zip is opened -they should be reinforced but it is a weak point when the zip is fully undone

Definitely going to need some means of gaining more leverage for opening and closing the zipper fully - either a strap extension, or a tool to work against the strap. Thanks for the tip about the zipper. The gusset looks substantial, but I do always take care when wearing or storing a suit to avoid putting strain on the open zipper.

Definitely going to need some means of gaining more leverage for opening and closing the zipper fully - either a strap extension, or a tool to work against the strap. Thanks for the tip about the zipper. The gusset looks substantial, but I do always take care when wearing or storing a suit to avoid putting strain on the open zipper.
it does take practice but hold the two zip halves with the left hand to keep them aligned while pulling the zipper with the right -push your shoulder up a bit to make it taught

It's more a matter of reach and joint mobility for me to be able to apply sufficient strength. Keeping the zippers lubed has previously been a big help as well.

I had a problem for a long time [with Viking] getting my right arm out first. [I usually dive solo and have no one to help me.] I would slip my arm out of the wrist and then have difficulty getting my elbow around the corner of the sleeve. I had trouble with reaching my left arm around behind me to hold the right sleeve [b/c of old, stiff joints not flexible enough.] I eventually solved that problem by tying the wrist off to some stationary object [like my car door post] with a cord and pulling the sleeve taut enough to work my arm out.

The problem was really solved later when I had to have the zipper replaced and Gamble Scuba [Gainesville, FL] suggested that I might get more range of motion by putting the zipper in upside down. That solved two problems: It gave me an extra inch of zipper height at the shoulder which was just enough to allow me to get my elbow around the corner. It also allowed me to close the zipper at the waist where I was able to see if it was fully closed or not. I really couldn't tell when it was above my shoulder and several times I had slight leaks.

I also cut my latex seals a little short/loose to allow them to come off easier and I taped [electricians' tape - I know, I know - not good for silicone] silicone seals over the top of the wrist cuffs to make a good seal beyond the ends of them, covering my wrists. Previously I had torn a couple silicone seals taking them off. No matter what they say they tear for no reason sometimes. Now I can reach under the latex and pull them off without tearing the silicone. If the latex were to tear, they are much cheaper to replace than the silicone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom