Tips for towing a dive flag???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t mind “flag girl” duty when team diving because that means I’m never lost.

In the few times I've had to drag a flag, I've just tied it off once I descended to a reasonable depth.

it also may depend on local laws and how far you plan in being from the flag. often, especially when teachng, i do the same as you. i just tie off the flag at the bottom. but we are always very close.

i believe where i live we can be 100 meters away. but in reality, if there is boat traffic etc, it would not be a good idea the be that far away. if somone had to surface i would not trust that the boat operators are paying any attention at all to that flag. so it could be a problem.

i was in an area where we frequently dive and teach. we were towing a flag. when i surfaced at the dock. a boat had parked right on top of us. they must have very slowly made there way to the dock cuz i never even heard the engine.

All of the advice I'd offer has already been shared. I would just add that it gets easier with experience. That applies to most new things especially new things while scuba diving. Even for me, and I've towed lots of flags, if I haven't done it in awhile it feels awkward and annoying. But the muscle memory quickly returns and I find before long I hardly notice that I'm towing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom