Tips wanted for Rock Crab hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morgan84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello SB,

This summer I wish to freedive for crabs:crafty:, and since im new to it I thought I should ask you guys for some tips. Anything regarding this topic is much apprichiated!

Especially, how to draw a large number of crabs to one area, what equipment/tools you can suggest, what hour of the day/night to dive and how to store them once captured.

-Morgan

I am not sure about the fishing Regs for your area. We use whatever we have for bait: chicken parts, turkey parts, squid, fish parts, abalone guts, etc. I tie chicken necks or fish heads/backbone to net or trap. Abalone guts or squid in a small cage tied to net or trap. We can take with trap, line or by hand. No spear or hook is allowed in our area while freediving or on SCUBA. You can tie a burlap sack with chum to the anchor line. It seems to have more to do with the tide rather than the time of day or night in our area. We can attract them with chum then gather them in a catch/goodie/goody bag. A bucket or basket in the boat also works well. They do not need water for transporting home. May be better to keep out of sun or in a cooler during the summer.

I use equipment from here:
Search Results :: Fisherman's Warehouse Online

quite helpful sir! thank you if you can think of anything else please let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom