Tired after scuba dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam308:
No, I was not bent.

Thanks,
Joe

There are some studies to suggest that fast ascents can cause a sub-clinical DCS. They believe that fatigue might be a symptom of this.

We've all done it. I now know how to prevent it.

I read somewhere (a long time ago) a list of the top ten highest calorie burning sports and scuba is at number 3 behind boxing and cross country skiing

Albion:
I read somewhere (a long time ago) a list of the top ten highest calorie burning sports and scuba is at number 3 behind boxing and cross country skiing

Yeah - Dave Berry writes a lot of stuff. :frlol:

No, really, I'd like to see that, if possible.

I really think the Nitrogen loading is more of it than we think. Really, we're always at some level of subclinical DCS after diving, even if so very minor - still off gassing. And all those inert N2 molecules have to prevent some O2 exchanging. :sleep:

Albion:

It certainly is not supposed to be. Burning that high of a calorie rate would mean your breathing rate would be in the stratosphere. Not good for most regulators. Not good for CO2 buildup.

I would think that the author of that study had really poor trim.... :eyebrow:

Albion:

Lap swimming, perhaps? :umnik:

Sam308:
Is it normal to be extremly tired after scuba diving?

I keep myself in good shape with plenty of exersise and don't understand why I feel really tired after scuba diving. Especially after a two tank dive, I feel exhausted.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Joe

I had the same problem & discovered that I was cold. See my thread here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t59247-.html

What kind of exposure protection are you wearing?

This summer we went to the BVI and the first day we dove 2 dives. I got sea sick on the way out and was totally exhausted by the time we got back to the dock. So the next day we decided to only do one dive. I felt great! No problem at all. Then the 3rd day we again dove a 2 tank dive and I still felt fine with alot of energy afterwards. I think that with the traveling and this being my first dive trip in 4 years due to a double knee replacement last summer I was just not use to diving. We were well hydrated and had no alcohol the whole trip. Kathy

Sam308:
Is it normal to be extremly tired after scuba diving? I keep myself in good shape with plenty of exersise and don't understand why I feel really tired after scuba diving. Especially after a two tank dive, I feel exhausted. Is this normal? Thanks, Joe
I went to a drysuit shortly after my OW certification, because almost all my local diving is cold water. It made a huge improvement in my energy level after a day of diving. Don't know whether cold is a factor for you.

I've found that really slow ascents can help, too. One day I had two dives with ascent rates over the last thirty feet of just six feet per minute. (I was practicing buoyancy control--I don't normally go that slow.) The neat thing was, when I was all done for the day and packed up I felt like going for a run! Part of that was the charge I'd gotten from mastering something, but the slow ascent really can ameliorate fatigue.

Bryan

There are many good suggestions in this thread to help ward off that post-dive fatigue, something which is no doubt a form of mild, subclinical DCS:
1. Good hydration is extremely important. Drink fluids even if you're not yet thirsty. Once you experience thirst, you're already behind the ball and at risk.
2. Staying warm!....if you're shivering the whole time you're in the water (and out of the water), you're going to be more tired when the day's done. Invest in a good exposure suit, hood, gloves, etc.
3. Try to stay out of the direct sun as much as possible. Some of your fatigue may be from too much old fashioned sun exposure.
4. Eat lightly and in the evenings, try to keep your alcohol consumption to a minimum.
5. Slow careful ascents on every dive are key.
6. Master your bouyancy skills and learn how to be a calm, relaxed, low profile, efficient, low energy diver. You'll see more, enjoy more and be more likely to be observant of and able to respond to any change in surrounding conditions.
7. When it's safe and possible, dive nitrox.
8. Get a good night's rest every night before your next day of diving. Yeah, you're on vacation and it's great to party! But you can stay up late partying any time when you're home. Your dive days are precious! Guard them, protect them, and treasure the memories when you get back.

When I first started diving I was outta shape and very tired after a dive....didn't matter where or what time of day, etc.

Been diving a little more this year (not much) but have got in a little better shape also. Not nearly as tired after.

Back
Top Bottom