Tired of LocLine arms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
During all of my underwater video I am contantly hearing creaking from the locline arms. I guess it is due to the limitations they have bearing weight of strobes and such. Also, I am contantly having to adjust them underwater as they sometimes shift a little. What are some of the better aluminum arms that are out there?

Last edited:
Ultralight Control Systems makes nice arms/balls/clamps. Probably the industry standard although they've been knocked off by others.

Pretty expensive. My buddy has a Aditech light with a heavy internal battery on a 2 segment arm and it stays where he puts it.

Ultralight Control Systems makes nice arms/balls/clamps. Probably the industry standard although they've been knocked off by others.

Pretty expensive. My buddy has a Aditech light with a heavy internal battery on a 2 segment arm and it stays where he puts it.
Knock offs would be fine as long as they stay put. I am by no means a professional photographer so absolute top of the line isnt necessary.

It is interesting that most still photographers use ULCS style arms while most video guys that I see still use locline type arms. What size Locline do you use and what video lights are you using. My wife uses L&M lights and locline and they stay where she puts them quite well.

bill

I am using 3/4 inch locline arms and a Sola 2100 video light. On the other side I have a Sea&Sea YS-D1 strobe.

I'm using 3/4in locline as well for my sola 1200 video light. The only creaking sound is if I manually adjust them. Otherwise they stay put.

What, if anything, do you do about the trapped sea water? My arms are sealed so tight that they don't drain and then a week or two later a bunch of salt crystals comes oozing out..??

What, if anything, do you do about the trapped sea water? My arms are sealed so tight that they don't drain and then a week or two later a bunch of salt crystals comes oozing out..??

I drilled a hole in the links at each end. It was just under 1/8" hole (3/32"?) in the 3/4" line. However it fills and drains slowly, so after every dive I pretty much pop the line in half. One half stays with the sola, one half with the tray adapter.

The other bonus to this is I created a separate "tray" for my video camera and it has a loc-line base bolted to the tray (alum. bar stock 1/8" thick) and some loc-line attached. I can quickly connect the loc-line with sola to this for video or to the Ike tray adapter for use with the photo camera.

Today I build a new tray specifically to add the sola 1200 + loc line to my go-pro clone when it's attached to the go-pro mount on my scooter. The mount is a single mount, and I could not find anything like what I wanted, so I built one. It's a bit of a kludge, but it will either work and I'll feel brilliant or it won't and neither will I :-D

I was worried about weakening it by popping it apart. So small drain holes are OK then..

I got tired of Locline type arms within about five minutes of using them. I could see them on a small video light but for a camera strobe, the amount of reach to the side needed for a wide angle lens and the lack of position options, no thanks. Not top mention that they flail about like a wet noodle.

N

Back
Top Bottom