Tissue Compartment gas loading spreadsheet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Impressive, at least at first glance! Wow!

Care to share a bit about what made you go to all this effort for us for free? Or is this "harvested" from other work?
Is there a way for us to confirm its adherence to ZHL16-C? I see A, B and C choices. Does it do all three?

Having a little trouble finding the "Calc" button using Sheets on my phone. I'll try again with Excel later.

I see looking at other sheets in this workbook that revisions go back to 2015. Has this product been discussed here before?

Thank you for sharing!

Last edited:
It all started, I think, in the basic or advanced forum in a particular thread where someone stated that all tissues should be offgassing when ascending. Others argued that, no, some tissues (TC's) might still be ongassing. I thought it might be neat to display the TC pressures for various segments of a dive. Showing the data suggested a table format and Excel was perfect for that. From there, I kept thinking of things I could add that would make the ss more useful and so I added other sheets.

After the ss grew and became more useful (especially with this last version) I thought, should I charge for it? I quickly decided to offer it free of charge. The problem with charging a fee is that it would require me to give it a higher priority that I might not be able to provide. Don't get me wrong, any complaints or problems I'll look into and try my best to fix but I'm not on the "hook" as I would be if I charged for it. The source code would be locked. One advantage of making it free and open source is that others can look at it and fix problems or enhance it in a way I might not think of. So, creating and maintaining the ss has turned into a hobby that I enjoy very much.

The current version was built from prior versions but not from any other application. The current version's (v20.0) DIVE sheet represents a dramatic departure over earlier versions as it includes support for technical dives and fixed a long-standing problem with calculating NDL times. None of the earlier versions were posted in the technical forum because those versions only supported recreational diving.

You ask if it conforms to ZHL16-C which I take that to mean does it use the half times and m-values that can be found in documentation. The answer is a resounding yes. Or, if what you're asking is if it conforms to the results of certain algorithms and programs I'll let you be the judge of that. The ss will calculate profiles using either Buhlmann table A, B, or C selected from the common parameters. If you want to compare different tables you need to create two copies of the ss with different filenames and then open each file in Excel. For the same profile parameters select different tables in each of the ss's and compare the results. My own testing revealed very little difference between the tables. The NDL's I looked at didn't vary by more that a few minutes.

I'm going to have to spend some time with this puppy. Again, thank you for your generosity and work!

rsingler:
Is there a way for us to confirm its adherence to ZHL16-C?

Or, if what you're asking is if it conforms to the results of certain algorithms and programs I'll let you be the judge of that.

I realized after re-reading my reply that the above response came across as being rather flippant. I did not intend that. Many responders voice concerns regarding their dive computers and algorithms in general and can we really trust the results. These are good questions. I've tested my ss extensively running countless profiles and comparing them to one particular dive planning software. The agreement for NDL time for NDL dives was incredible coming within 2 minutes and sometimes 1 minute in agreement. For deco dives the agreement in both the first stop depth and total deco time was very close. For some stops the depth and time agreed exactly. So, based on the test results I can say that I have high confidence that the information revealed in the ss can be trusted to provide meaningful results.

This is a really outstanding piece of work and I hope people take the time to play with it and appreciate how clever it really is (and to report any issues you may encounter).

EFX put a tremendous amount of work into this and created a fabulous spreadsheet that should allow divers a many levels to see how the gears in the Buhlmann model turn in a format that makes the workings of the model fairly transparent (provided you have the dedication to dig into it). As far as I know this is the first really complete implementation of a working planning tool with this level of sophistication in Excel.

When EFX first posted that he wanted to do this I offered him a spreadsheet that I had made that encapsulated the basic mechanics/calculations of the Buhlmann model in what was a sort of chalk sketch that I was using to explain to students how it worked. By his first release it was clear that he was talking it places that I hadn't even conceived of yet and the final result is quite simply sensational.

Excellent work!

R..

Fixed a problem switching to the main1 gas on ascents and made the following changes:

1. Changed GFHi limit from 100% to 120%.
2. Added yellow and red alerts for low ppO2.
3. Added a helium HT multiplier in deco common.
4. Added display of half-times on the DIVE sheet.
5. Added the TT (ICD) column to the dive data. This data gives the DCS risk for isobaric counterdiffusion.

The latest version is: dive_022518_v21_0.xls.

Last edited:
OK. Reloaded. It works now. Click on the link in post #7.

no it doesn't work ,id like to read it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom