Titan O ring question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as the kits being short I have have 4 or 5 kits that are the exact same way. I think I need to start getting the kits that have them separated for now on. I just need to find a place to source them. My LDS won’t sell to me and I understand why, but it still sucks that these kits are such a pain to source.

I ordered 15 #900001 OEM kits from Silent Explorers, 10-12 kits had the crown oring packaged separate from the others, and the rest with all the orings together. Sounds like it might be a bit luck of the draw how the kits are packaged regardless of source. You could try requesting kits with the crown oring separate, and see if VDH or Silent Explorers would be willing to check before sending.

Or just pick up a few spare orings to match the needs, if going down the DIY path a well stocked oring kit is handy to have. If you happen to just need a few 90 duro 011 orings, I am happy to mail 4 or 5 to you gratis.

We need to form a DIY union and put a stop to this scheme.

Agree, it's killing me. Upgrading G250s is now almost not even worth it, certainly not if you wanna sell them and not lose a bunch of money. It's been 7 months since SPs massive price hike and I'm still struggling to get over it.

Just for laughs I priced out doing more G250Vs, as a comparison for just $29 more I can get a brand new G260. I really need to stop looking at the price increases, makes me feel ill. Time to move on.

Hello,

I'll offer the following in the hopes of helping someone else who is working on a Titan from avoiding a problem I encountered.

Today I assembled a Titan First stage using a 900001 service kit for VDH. Per COUV's suggestion I checked the HP side for leaks. No bubbles, cycled the seat via the pin several times and still no leaks.

Some notes on o-rings. The o-ring in the kit for the crown/orifice (820038) seems a bit small as the crown slides rather easily into position. However, I measured the old o-ring and it is very close to a 1.9 x 7.8mm. I measured 1.86 x 7.8 mm on the old one. The new o-ring is a 1.9 x 7.8. It feels like a duro 90.

The -006 o-ring for the spring block felt softer than the duro 70 o-rings I compared it to.

Regarding the -006 o-ring, the manual states "Then, generously lubricate and install the O-ring(12) into the spring block, directly over the backup ring." Well here is where my troubles, unknown at the time, started. I "generously" lubricated this o-ring and installed it in the spring block. I completed the rest of the assembly,

I put the regulator on 165 PSI shop air and the IP was right at 120 PSI with no creep. So far so good. Put it on 500 PSI looked okay. Put it on 3000 PSI supply and adjusted to 135. Started purging. 135, 135, 80, 80. Changed gauges,no help. Turned off supply bled off pressure. Turned air back on, right to 135. Unfortunately as soon as I started purging it was all over the map from 80 to 160.

So it's not a high pressure leak, but something is causing inconsistencies. One thing I thought of is that the seat in the kit is different than the seat I removed and what is pictured in the parts diagram. See attached photo. The new seat has a shoulder on the back side that is not there on the original. I do not know how close the spring block gets to the seat but this could possible be an issue. Regardless, I needed to open up the reg as something was not right.

So, I took every thing apart and when i removed the seat I discovered my problem. There was a small mound of Tribolube on the seat. SO where did this come from? Remember the manuals note about "generously" lubricating the spring block o-ring? It appears that the Tribolube was pumped out of the spring block, up through he seat stem and onto the seat where it caused wildly inconsistent IP's.

So I put everything back together and it is now working as advertised. So be aware of the "generously" lubricating the spring block o-ring comment in the manual. I did not drown the o-ring in lube but most of what was there was pumped up to the face of the seat.

Hopefully this will keep someone else form making the same mistake.

John

IMG_20200923_130302166.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom