Titan Triggerfish Attack [No injury thankfully]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Land Fish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A titan triggerfish came out of nowhere within 10 minutes after dive guide and me jumped in, and we were going along a wall near Mactan Island in Philippines.

It felt like someone yanked my fin really hard while my guide was about half body length ahead of me, and we were the only divers in the area when we got in. I was quite surprised, and my heart started racing when I turned around to find an angry titan triggerfish following us.

Apparently the fish had a go at the guide's fin too. He thought I did it to get his attention but quickly realised what was happening when he saw the fish too. We kept eye contact with the fish while swimming away as soon as we could.

I checked the fin after the dive, and the bite mark was like being carved into the rim. They were rental and I wish I had taken a photo. Anyway, my leg would not have taken the bite well :shakehead:

I looked up on info about triggerfish mating season and where nests usually are, but where I got attacked doesn't fit in with "the nest of the titan triggerfish is usually in a flat sandy area amongst the corals", and they seem to be mating all the time.

For people who have less experience, what would you suggest to avoid unpleasant encounter with titan triggerfish?

Thank you.

When I was diving in Puerto Gallera (Philippines) last week, 2 people were attacked by triggerfish. Both times fish tried to bite divers head. One diver had a pretty serious bloody bump on his head. It is better not to go near these fishes :)

Very common occurrence. I have seen many on a beeline to attacking someone and all of a sudden pulling up dead as they reach the boundary of their territory. Only thing is to be on the lookout for them in the mating season. Local guides should really advise about this at the relevant times.

if I survive the Triggerfish attack, I'll have it on my GoPro clone. Soon to be in Puerto Galera. :wink:

Lucky it was just your fin. They have quite the bite.
Try to spot them in advance, but that is not always easy....

Learn the common behaviors as you are doing, stay aware when diving anyplace you might come across them, and try to avoid to begin with (as said, not always possible.) But in my experience the only behavior guaranteed is they can't read, so don't always do whatever the books or internet say they will. I can tell you from personal experience the "cone" thing can't be relied on. (As can the guy on our last trip who got bit in the head.)

A local guide should be helpful with this, knowing where they are and the usual local behavior. This is also something you can't count on. ☹️

Maybe we should all stand up to those bullies and start biting back. They will get scared of divers and leave them alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom