Titan Triggerfish Attack [No injury thankfully]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe we should all stand up to those bullies and start biting back. They will get scared of divers and leave them alone.

I'm not sure "man bites fish" has the same newsworthiness as "man bites dog."

Huh, in this case maybe "fish bites man" is newsworthy....

(For the young whippersnappers, the story goes that the reporter brings a story about a man who got bit by a dog to his editor. The editor tells him "Dog Bites Man is not a news headline. Man Bites Dog would be news.")

I've seen them take a chunk of a guy's ear. Had one put a hole in my wetsuit once when I wasn't being careful to avoid them.

When we dive we enter their world. Respect and keeping our distance helps.
il_570xN.1147519672_ia49.jpg

Maybe we should all stand up to those bullies and start biting back. They will get scared of divers and leave them alone.
Can you say....speargun?

I was once in Malapascua and we were waiting for the thresher sharks to come. Threshers as you know are very big creatures and they have the strength to attack and perhaps kill humans. But actually they are very beautiful and gentle, even shy creatures. There were three titan triggerfish wandering around while we were waiting. And it's true, no fear for the sharks while we were suspicious about the triggerfish

It happened to me recently while I was busy filming a maroon clownfish. The clownfish suddenly darted out to protect its territory so I followed it with my camera only to see a titan triggerfish flying straight towards me (totally ignoring the clownfish). I managed to turn on my back and shoo it away with my fins. It left after several attacks with no harm to flesh or fin, but it got my heart racing!
I did get it on film but I haven’t edited down yet, and the footage is a bit shaky so nowhere near as good as the clip posted by @rsingler above!

Just so no one mistakes, that's not my personal video. Just a good example of the species from YouTube.
Dive Safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom