Titan Triggerfish Attack [No injury thankfully]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first fish I was ever attacked by was a Damselfish. I'm like "you're 3 inches long, what are you thinking?"

hEA9DCBD1.jpg

I have a friend who was bit by a humuhumunukunukuapua'a in Hawai'i in April while snorkeling, probably in Kahalu'u. I was also charged by a humuhumu in the same place around the same time. He was bleeding, I did not get bit but then I have a lot more experience with fish behaviour than he does or maybe I was just lucky.

Literally had to Google what humuhumunukunukuapua'a is...

For people who're not familiar with it, it's Lagoon triggerfish and you're welcome lol

I’ve been bitten on my leg through my 5mm suit. It left a nasty bite mark and resulted in a bruise the size of a small dinner plate. It was extremely painful and felt more like a dog bite. It was coming for Mr. OOO and he got out of the way. Before I knew what was happening, I was Titan Bait. Fortunately for him, we're still together.

Yikes! Might need to consider shark suit for triggerfishes...

Literally had to Google what humuhumunukunukuapua'a is...

For people who're not familiar with it, it's Lagoon triggerfish and you're welcome lol

It's a mouthful but after a few trips to Hawai'i it somehow found it's way into my permanent memory banks. It's the Hawai'i state fish and much smaller than the triggerfishes here on Cozumel, but, like Land Fish's little dog, they have plenty fight in them. There's an old Hawaiian song that mentions the humuhumu--It goes "I want to get back to my little grass shack...where the humuhumunukunukuapua'a go swimming by" It was used as the theme song for the movie Under the Hula Moon.

Edit: perhaps it's easier to remember if you sing it:

My Little Grass Shack lyrics - Dave Van Ronk original song - full version on Lyrics Freak

I've got humuhumunukunukuapua'a etched in my brain as well - possibly helped by the tshirt I bought on my first trip to Hawaii.

Yikes! Might need to consider shark suit for triggerfishes...

People always :eek: when I tell them we dive with sharks or purposefully try to find them. I always tell them I am way more scared about triggerfish than I am about sharks! Triggerfish "attack"/bite: 1, sharks: 0. Post-triggerfish encounter, I ended up at a divesite called Triggerfish City in Tubbataha. We dropped in at one site and crossed to another 1-2. I was not amused......I went the circuitous way. :D

There's a little green fish that's common in the waters of Cozumel, usually in shallow areas, that I have not found on any fish chart. It's shaped similar to a snapper but only 3-4 inches long and I've been nipped by them numerous times, usually when hanging onto a dock ladder or working on something. They appear to be olive drab underwater with a sort-of a spotty pattern. I'm pretty sure I got a video of one a few years ago but can't find it. Maybe later...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom