titanium knifes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy a steel one with the highest number of stainless. Knives are too easy to lose or get stolen. Not worth the money.

Scott

In all honesty, I have yet to take my little knife out of the sheath underwater. I wouldn't spend a lot money for a knife. Shears are probably the best option ($5).

Mike

Well I use a ss- knife one has to rinse all the other gear anyway, so it is no use to save those 30 seconds it takes to rinse the Knife as well. Apart from that have you ever tried to sharpen a titanium knife ...... it takes a lot longer than rinsing the thing.
And yes they do get blunt to.

I like my Gerber Gator. It wasn't designed for diving, but it serves the purpose just the same. It has good steel, easy to sharpen, and hasn't rusted yet. It's a lockblade, so it folds up nicely for tucking into a BC pocket. I also carry EMT shears, which see more use than the knife. Knife is only for carving intials in coral. :) Just kidding guys.

I've got this dandy little paring knife with a 2.5" curved blade that whittles a fine point on my pencil and is sharp enough (before pointing the pencil) to shave with....don't shave much UW though....

Made a little scabbard for it out of a piece of weight belting folded over and hand stiched.... friction fit...haven't lost it yet.... thing sets front and center on my waist strap.... I ground the point off and made sure it was nice and dull...wouldn't want to stab myself putting it back down there....

EMT shears live in my left pocket and work great for cutting SS downrigger wire and also double as pliers on the backside of the pivot....

My *real* dive knives all live in the garage... but I am thinking they would probably enjoy getting out .... maybe a trip to ebay...

I bought a titanium knife, because I can. Didn't really need it, haven't lost one this year but I've seen one go dropping by in deep water. I thought about buying one of those pairs of "special scissors" but I haven't recently been trapped by a penny :)

What I have learned (through scientific friends and a titanium camping pot) is that if you mark the titanium with a "magic marker" then expose it to hot and cold, the result is the metal breaks down and will deteriorate. Kinda like rust, but without the red part.

Why would anyone mark their equipment with a "magic marker"? Well, I have lost things, and every now and then they make it back to me.

Hey I found a ocean master titanium Knife two months ago :)
Its a boot knife double edged type its ok!
My knife i use is the old scubapro with the 6 inch marks on the blade. I dont see any reason to spend a lot on a titanium knife!

my 2 cents Rick L.

Originally posted by watergal
JMS, I like your system too, but there are some places you need a standard blade like if you are going to have a dpv around any kind of line/monofilament; shears won't untangle a prop. I know this for a fact. You see, I have this friend.... :rolleyes:

They don't punture a body bag real well either (don't ask), whereas a blade can.....soooooo, my search continues for a blade I can be proud of that doesn't take up a lot of profile space. My old Wenoka is way to big, but it's not a machete......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom