Titanium scuba tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I know this is a James Bond kind of question but...

Giving that price is no matter, I have not been able to find anything close to a titanium tank. I know that making it would be very different then normal tanks but I have a bad back and need light weight.

So fire away on this topic.

Are you a man of limitless wealth??

Back in the 70's, I did some commercial diving with titanium tanks. Titanium is heavier than aluminum but lighter than steel. Depending on the alloy, it can be stronger than steel of the same thickness. Due to being lighter than steel, titanium tanks can have thicker walls for the same buoyancy. The tanks that I had were a tiny bit larger than an aluminum 19 and held about 70-80CF at 7500psi. I could fit 2 tanks, a mask and my lunch in a brief case.:D

These tanks came from Russia and were welded so now way could they be DOT.

The Cousteau tanks were French and held 40CF each (he used 4 tanks) at 5000psi. Cousteau used Mistral double hose regulators and yoke fittings on those tanks at 5000psi.

I used a Poseidon Cyclon 300 with a DIN fitting on mine.

Giving that price is no matter, I have not been able to find anything close to a titanium tank. I know that making it would be very different then normal tanks but I have a bad back and need light weight.

Hi,

The lightest SCUBA tanks as far as total weight (including weight needed to make you neutral) per cubic foot are the Worthington Steel X7 series of HP tanks.

Larry Elsevier in Bellingham, Washington brought some in from Russia around 92/93. Retail was going to be over a grand. That's the last I ever heard of anyone trying to market them.

Cousteau used Ti tanks for a while. One issue with Ti is that it is extremely notch sensitive, so if it was to get damaged in any way shape or form, that notch would become a stress riser. I believe I read that one of Cousteau's tanks did explode.

Carbon wrapped aluminum is extremely lightweight, but very buoyant and you'd have to wear a lot of lead to sink.

Buy a rebreather if you want lots of gas with low weight, it's likely the best option, and would be WAY more afforable than Ti tanks.

how light are the carbon tanks??? That does sound like a better idea. I do not care what the tank is made out of, just that it be the lightest money can buy.

how light are the carbon tanks??? That does sound like a better idea. I do not care what the tank is made out of, just that it be the lightest money can buy.

You're missing the point. You actually need to carry more total weight with the carbon wrapped aluminum because of all the weight you'll need to counteract the bouyancy of the tank. Unless your back prefers carrying led to carrying tanks, your best bet is to get some steel tanks. Or you could go to Russia and find some of those titanium tanks and then buy yourself a fancy compressor that will fill them.

Maybe the best bet would be to buy your buddy lunch in exchange for carrying your tanks.:wink:

You're missing the point. You actually need to carry more total weight with the carbon wrapped aluminum because of all the weight you'll need to counteract the bouyancy of the tank. Unless your back prefers carrying led to carrying tanks, your best bet is to get some steel tanks. Or you could go to Russia and find some of those titanium tanks and then buy yourself a fancy compressor that will fill them.

Maybe the best bet would be to buy your buddy lunch in exchange for carrying your tanks.:wink:

The more weight on my belt is no problem. Sorry I should of stated that before. It is the weight above the belt that needs to be slim.

And I really like the buying lunch idea!

You may also want to check out a third lung.

brownies10solopuffer.jpg

Weight on the belt could be a big problem if you need it to be somewhere else. The most advantageous place, for many, to put weight is over the largest air space. The lungs. So putting 30 lbs or so on a belt just to get down with these carbon tanks is somewhat foolish. Besides the carbon tanks have a 5 year life. They cannot be refilled after that to my knowledge. I have steel tanks from 1955 and 57 that are still serviceable.

Other than the Luxfer 106CF fiber wraped tank, there are no fiber DOT tanks that are rated for submersion in water. The 106 is about the same size, weight and buoyancy as a regular aluminum 80, just holds more air at a higher rated fill pressure.

If you can handle weight on your hips but not weight on your back, then theoretically, light weight tanks will help you because it will be transfering weight from your back to your hips if you put the weight on a traditional weight belt. One or two carbon 45CF firefighter tanks would be light but you would need a lot of weight on your belt to become neutral. But the firefighter tanks are not rated for underwater use.

If you can handle the weight, two 30cf, 40cf or 45cf tanks would put less stress on your back than the same air in a single tank because the weight would be about the same but closer to your body. If you can get by with a smaller air supply there are a few other options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom