Titanium tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crawl79,

Could you double up a couple of the big ones and send em to me.
You don't mind paying shipping do ya????

the K

Jimmer:
Depends on the volume, if you had a custom run of 5 aluminum tanks, I would wager it would cost a grand a piece for the tooling costs. You would need A LOT of people willing to buy Ti tanks to make it worth while.

P.S. I like your idea Andy, can I be the man with the golden fins?

I don't even think the tooling costs would be an issue, rather the cost of the Ti or the alloy metal with Ti. I could see that make the tooling costs look like pocket change regardless of the volume.

If you want light tanks, there are carbon fiber tanks for firefighters that weigh in at a tiny fraction of what an al tank of similar capacity weighs. They are bouyant beyond belief. Any reduction in weight of the tank taking it below the density of water must be countered by an increase in weight elsewhere. Unless you can come up with a 6 pound 40,000 psi tank the size of a coke can I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Our 3 AUV's are used for geophysical surveys mostly for Oil and Gas companies but sometimes for the scientific community, finding shipwrecks and government agencies such as NOAA. Currently I am surveying off the coast of Brasil with our original AUV. Our second is working for a major university in the Gulf of Mexico and our third is getting ready for a trip to Baku.
http://www.cctechnol.com/site29.php

The C-Surveyor I is rated for 3000 meters (10,000ft). It's survey sensors include the following: 200 kHz multibeam bathymetry & imagery, Dual frequency sidescan (120 & 410 kHz), Subbottom profiler (2-10 kHz), CTD.

Other ancillary sensors include: HiPAP USBL, Inertial Navigation system, Doppler velocity log, Fiber optic gyro, High & Low Speed Acoustic links, DGPS & UHF radio (Surface).

C & C's Survey AUV

The AUV is powered by an aluminum oxygen fuel cell with ni-cad back up batteries. With the fuel cell power source, the AUV can travel at 4 knots for at least 50 hours with all sensors running. The overall size of the AUV is 5.3m long (17ft) and is1.0m in diameter (3.3ft).

The AUV has numerous safety devices to allow it to surface when a significant problem arises. Various triggers are linked to two drop weights and an air bladder.

Survey lines and sensor settings can be pre-programmed into the AUV. Lines can be aborted and the survey program can be altered via the acoustic telemetry link while the survey is underway. Most of the settings for the survey sensors can also be remotely controlled via the link. Multibeam, sidescan, subbottom, and positioning data are recorded in the AUV. Decimated data from these sensors is transmitted from the AUV to the ship. This allows real time quality assurance of the data, and real time feedback on the bottom conditions. Positioning of the data is done using HiPAP USBL, the inertial navigation system, and the Doppler velocity log integrated in a Kalman filter.

stevead:
Unless you can come up with a 6 pound 40,000 psi tank the size of a coke can I'm afraid you're out of luck.

:rofl3:

ps - can I get a cold fill on that please.

stevead:
If you want light tanks, there are carbon fiber tanks for firefighters that weigh in at a tiny fraction of what an al tank of similar capacity weighs. They are bouyant beyond belief. Any reduction in weight of the tank taking it below the density of water must be countered by an increase in weight elsewhere. Unless you can come up with a 6 pound 40,000 psi tank the size of a coke can I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Then the problem becomes how can you fill such a tank :(

I never said it was gonna be easy, just pointing out that in order to effectively reduce the weight of a tank, the volume must also be reduced, otherwise we're only moving weight.

Unless we want to open this up to the realm of fantasy in which case I'll sprinkle a bit of pixie dust on my compressor.

Garrobo:
Well maybe it could be alloyed with some other type of steel to remove the notchiness. HUH? I'm looking for something lighter than aluminum. Those 40# tanks are getting tough on these old bones.

How about a HP steel 80? The tank weighs 28 lbs and is 3lbs negative when empty (compared to 31.4 total and 4.4 positive for Al), meaning you'd be carrying 11lbs less between your back and weight belt.

Only Paupers use gold or titanium tanks.:shakehead

Real divers dive platinum tanks. At US$1100 an ounce you might want to stick to diving single tanks :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom