Titanium tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airsix:
: ps - can I get a cold fill on that please.

You would need to submerge the tank in liquid nitrogen while filling, which would probably shatter the tank.

well why were on the subject of gold tanks, why not plate it and have it be corrosion free.

The Kraken:
P.S. I like your idea Andy, can I be the man with the golden fins?

You're gonna be fooooooooooooooooot heavy. And don't say I didn't tell ya so!! :D

the 24 K-arat Man[/quote]

Aww i dont wanna be left out. I wanna be known as the guy with the golden hoses.....SOLID golden hoses...YEAH!!! :11:

If you've seen the tanks firefighters use they are real thin aluminum or steel wrapped in fiber glass or carbon fiber, paintballers use similar ones. They are only about five pounds but are rated @ 4500 psi! We fill them at the shop for volunteer firefighters and fumagators. Since our compressor only goes to about 3,000 we gotta boost em with a haskel. When you fill them you could fry an egg on em they are so hot even if you slow fill them, we let them cool for about an hour and they loose about 1500 psi, top them off again, let them cool and then one last top off.
Durring an emergency, firefighters will jam them in about a min out of the back of their truck. These tanks get so much stress from use they are only good for 15 years before you got to throw them away regardless if it passes hydro.
In Chicago, some chlorine bleach was accidently spilled on a scott bottle and it ate through the fiberglass wrapping and the tank exploded in the truck, litteraly lifting the truck from the ground and almost blowing it in half.

stevead:
No, just fill it sloooooooooooooow 3 or 4 hours should do it

At 40,000 PSI it would be more like 3-4 days.

Any one ever heard of Van der Waals forces? I'd imagine this would have an affect on the feasability of the 40,000psi coke can scuba tank. Also a regulator would have to engineered to handle this kind of pressure.

Garrobo:
Has anyone looked into the manufacture of scuba tanks for scuba? Or are they already available?

Larry Elsevier, when he had a shop in Bellingham, Washington, brought some in from Russia around 1992. The details are a bit fuzzy now but I seem to remember they were around 150 cu.ft and had a working pressure of 4500psi. Cost was around $1200US.

nadwidny:
Larry Elsevier, when he had a shop in Bellingham, Washington, brought some in from Russia around 1992. The details are a bit fuzzy now but I seem to remember they were around 150 cu.ft and had a working pressure of 4500psi. Cost was around $1200US.

I heard they were shown at DEMA some years ago. You may want to do a search on past posts. I remember this being discussed.

Can I be the man with the golden reg? The mouthpiece wouldn't be so comfy, but you could bite it and it would have your own personal teeth marks, so no one would ever take it from you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom